Story of my first Elk (CO 1st Rifle 2019)

i just found this thread and I want to add how our experiences were very different but then very much the same in CO. Trying to find some edge, sticking with the process, and then that almost unexplainable feeling when you meet success are all familiar to me. Your description of Bill and Zac also take me back to guys I've met on the trail and the help I received from virtual strangers in packing out my first bull. CO is competitive and there are aholes out there but I've met far more good people than bad.
Well done, well told, and congratulations.
HD

Uh oh. Was it that obvious where I was? I tried to be as vague as I could so as not to blow up the spot, but it sounds like it won't matter. I heard through the grapevine that they won't be doing that hunt next year due to all of the complications it brought along. I'm really glad I did it when I did and now it is time to find a new spot. I've learned over the years hunting hogs here in Georgia on public land that no good honey hole lasts more than a couple years.

Awesome story and congrats, way to work hard and stick it out. It is EXTREMELY obvious where you were to anyone with any geographical knowledge of Colorado., but like you said it might not matter anyway.

Last edited:
Congrats again Herman! Enjoyed the story even more here with the extra detail. I hope we get to cross paths chasing bear in our little mountains of North GA.

Congrats again Herman! Enjoyed the story even more here with the extra detail. I hope we get to cross paths chasing bear in our little mountains of North GA.

John! Good seeing you over here on the HuntTalk Forum too! I use this one for my out of state hunts and it is much less political that what the GON forum has turned into lately. I didn't make it up to the mountains this season in Georgia, and really didn't hunt too much compared to past seasons because I got very lucky this year and had a crazy success rate. I am very excited about the Foothills Landscape Project and what that could mean for the areas we like to hunt up there. If that passes I will definitely be back up there exploring the new improvements.

-Herman

Awesome story and congrats, way to work hard and stick it out. It is EXTREMELY obvious where you were to anyone with any geographical knowledge of Colorado., but like you said it might not matter anyway.

For anyone thinking of hunting where I was, it is a very hard hunt and you should definitely look elsewhere. You don't want to waste your points on that unit!

Back