Storing Gear Without smelling musty

2rocky

I have a two car size Concrete Tip up building built in the 40's that serves as my gear storage location. Given that I live on the Coast of Northern CA winters are wet and my camping gear, while dry, can smell Musty after a winter in storage. How do other people with concrete basements or high humidity areas battle that when you store your Hunting clothes and tents, and sleeping bags?

Store with Cedar wood.Not fully cured is best.They actually sell Balls
of Cedar to put in linen closets etc.You can find them where you buy sheets,linens,towels
Have some in my closet withCamo Gear ,Boots etc. All natural no Moth ball stench. :cool:

I store my gear in the unfinished part of my basement and run a dehumidifier there all spring, summer and early fall. Later in the fall it isn’t needed since the air is much drier.
Never had an issue with anything ever smelling musty, the dehumidifier works great.

Store with Cedar wood.Not fully cured is best.They actually sell Balls
of Cedar to put in linen closets etc.You can find them where you buy sheets,linens,towels
Have some in my closet withCamo Gear ,Boots etc. All natural no Moth ball stench. :cool:
What he said. I buy cedar shavings from the pet store( the stuff people put in the bottom of a rabbit or Guinea pig cage) pour it in pillow cases tie of the end and then spread them out around my gear.

Good Idea WildWill probably less expensive,One Problem,I'll end up buying a Dog.

Probably a Chihuahua pointer retriever Chupacabra...Blind in one Eye can't see out the other!
Three legs with mange.Then the Ol' Lady will name him "Lucky"... CRAP! all I wanted was to smell good! :cool:

Last edited:
Keep my stuff in plastic bins with cedar pieces. Same with my wool. Not so much of a mold problem in NM,but moths,me & such...

I have a two car size Concrete Tip up building built in the 40's that serves as my gear storage location. Given that I live on the Coast of Northern CA winters are wet and my camping gear, while dry, can smell Musty after a winter in storage. How do other people with concrete basements or high humidity areas battle that when you store your Hunting clothes and tents, and sleeping bags?
Where you located?I was stationed at Pt.Reyes Station and lived in a cabin In
the Muir woods.Beautiful area. :cool:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back