Stock maintenance

Mako

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd post it here. I have a beautiful Browning High Power Safar gradei rifle in .270 from 1969 in near pristine condition. It has a beautiful wood stock with a gloss finish and I was wondering what would be the best products for cleaning and maintianing the stock? Renaissance wax? Howard Feed and Wax? I've heard of some people using pledge, but I think I'd rather used something a little more gun specific than that. How about Ballistol? They claim that their product is good for gun stocks too.

What do you all use?

I suggest giving Art Isaacson a call at his shop in Missouri for any vintage Browning care advice. His phone number is 636.944.3630. Art is a former Browning factory gunsmith and does excellent Browning restoration work. He's also a heckuva nice guy.

He did a "saltwood" restoration on a Safari rifle of mine in .338 Win. It was also a '69 model, so I suggest taking care to ensure that you do not have salt corrosion problems if you've not already. I sold the .338, but still own a '73 Safari in .270 that is a permanent member of my collection. Enjoy your Safari rifle! They'll never make them like that again.

I suggest giving Art Isaacson a call at his shop in Missouri for any vintage Browning care advice. His phone number is 636.944.3630. Art is a former Browning factory gunsmith and does excellent Browning restoration work. He's also a heckuva nice guy.

He did a "saltwood" restoration on a Safari rifle of mine in .338 Win. It was also a '69 model, so I suggest taking care to ensure that you do not have salt corrosion problems if you've not already. I sold the .338, but still own a '73 Safari in .270 that is a permanent member of my collection. Enjoy your Safari rifle! They'll never make them like that again.

OMG, why didn't I think of that!? I watch his YT videos all the time and also learned from him how to check my stock with silver nitrate to see if it is one of the infamous saltwood stocks; luckily it wasn't. And I agree, they never will make them like that again. I searched for a long time to find one in in .270

Thanks again!

Last edited:
OMG, whey didn't I think of that!? I watch his YT videos all the time and also learned from him how to check to my stock with silver nitrate to see if it is one of the infamous saltwood stocks; luckily it wasn't. And I agree, they never will make them like that again. I searched for a long time to find one in in .270

Thanks again!

Ha! I'm glad you know who he is. It was a pleasure working with him and I have no doubt you'll find the same. Glad to hear your rifle wasn't affected - it's an expensive repair!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back