Caribou Gear Tarp

Stick with the old or go new?

MTHunter1321

So my current bow is a Mathews, not sure the model though, and it’s probably 12-15 years old. I got it used 10 years ago to start archery hunting. At that time I got it fitted for my draw length and weight, and since then I got a new 5-pin sight. It came with an adjustable 1 pin that I didn’t really care for. Anyways, I haven’t had any work done on it since I bought it, so it has original strings, arrow rest, etc. I’ve been telling myself that I’ll upgrade to a new bow once I’ve either been in a situation where I could have shot an elk or actually seal the deal on one, so I can justify spending the money.

I’ve inquired at a bow shop to get new strings, new arrow rest (drop away instead of my current whisker biscuit), tune, etc and figured it’ll run me $250-300ish for everything I’d like. While at a local sporting good store looking at bows, a brand new Hoyt Powermax that’s fully equipped is $700. I know the technology has certainly evolved in the last 15 years, so my question is, is there going to be a big enough difference in the 2 bows to justify the roughly $400 or so dollars between updating my current set up vs what a new bow is capable of?? The Hoyt is shorter and lighter, making it more appealing for my style of hunting. I’m guessing speed will be a little different but my range is 50 yards so I’m not too concerned about 10-20fps difference. Has technology changed enough that a newer bow is going to be more consistently accurate vs one that’s “old”?

I’ll admit, I’m still very green when it comes to bow hunting and could have definitely done more to be serious about it but for various reasons haven’t gave it a lot of my focus, but I am looking to focus a lot more time and energy on it now. Looking for advice from people with a lot more experience with bows than I have. Thanks!

You really don't gain too much from the whisker biscuit to a drop away, Most days I miss my whisker biscuit, so that would be up to you but in most cases a whisker biscuit will be better for stalking. With a string upgrade most places will "tune" your bow for free, and a string and cables are worth the investment. Your bow will kill just as good as the latest and greatest. I would get new strings and cables and keep the whisker biscuit and shoot it until you get more experience and then upgrade in a couple more years.

I saw a substantial differnce in groups when i went to a fall away rest. Something lir half as big of groud at 40yds. I would absolutely recommend gettong one.

And I would get new strings, they stretch over time. I get new ones every other year, I also shoot a lot.

As for the new bow, thats a value call up to you. A 100fps increase is noticeable and im unsure what you have now to do a comparison.

I think youre right on that line as for age and upgrading. My previous bow was 5 years old and I replaced it with a "grown up" bow. This is my 3rd season with the new Mathews, I dont see me upgrading for a long while.

I switched from a 20+ year old Golden Eagle to an APA Viper Lite.
While i had updated the GE with a drop away rest a few years previous, the new bow cut my group sizes easily in half. Especeially in the 40-60 yard range.
New bow physically weighs half what old bow does.
Picked up 10fps with 10 less lbs pulled.

Yeah, worth every penny!!!

If it were me in this situation I would be concerned more about feel over features. I do the same thing for firearms. Sometimes this means using an older weapon, or one that isn't a top brand, but it feels natural and ergonomic. You'll perform better because it's the right weapon for you, not because the features are better.

I saw a substantial differnce in groups when i went to a fall away rest. Something lir half as big of groud at 40yds. I would absolutely recommend gettong one.

And I would get new strings, they stretch over time. I get new ones every other year, I also shoot a lot.

As for the new bow, thats a value call up to you. A 100fps increase is noticeable and im unsure what you have now to do a comparison.

I think youre right on that line as for age and upgrading. My previous bow was 5 years old and I replaced it with a "grown up" bow. This is my 3rd season with the new Mathews, I dont see me upgrading for a long while.

I also noticed a big jump in group consistency since switching to a drop away about eight years ago.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hoyt Powermax? As far as I can tell it’s a good mid level bow. While I’d love to have a brand new carbon bow with bells and whistles, can’t justify it quite yet

No experience with that particular model. Buy as a whole hoyt makes a pretty good product across the board imo. If your considering a new bow I'd suggest shooting as many as you can and buy what feels right to you.

I was in the same predicament as you are , a few years ago. I upgraded my bow, the last one was 10 years old. The technology's definitely changed for the better, smoother, faster, more accurate bows are being made these days. If you have the means, go for the upgrade, just shop around and try as many different models and brands as possible.

Have you shot any of the new bows at any of your local shops? You may be surprised/ impressed with the difference. Look at a few different brands and models and shoot them if your local shops have indoor ranges. Try not to be biased and go with what feels good to you. IT'S HARD TO FIND A BAD BOW imo. Most archery shops are pretty good about that because it helps them sell. I shoot a 10 year old PSE and the difference in technology and feel is night and day.
But, for what it's worth, I am still shooting the 10 year old PSE, because I'm just a treestand bowhunter and whitetails aren't that hard to kill. Plus, new bows can be quite spendy.

While staying within your budget, don't pick a bow based on price. Shoot a bunch of different new models and see what you like best. You may find a $400 bow that is feels better than your current one, or you may find that no bow under $1000 feels as good as what you already have. If the Hoyt feels good to you than its probably worth the extra cash.

If you're truly considering a new bow, go shoot every bow you can find in your price range. I'd bet you'll find one that fits and feels better than your current set up. Technology has come a long ways since your bow was new. I'm not a proponent for a new bow every year but again, these new bows are lightyears ahead of yours (and fortunately not improving much year to year at this point, so you'll be set for a long time). Also, don't underestimate the simplicity of a whisker biscuit. It's a fool proof mechanism that will shoot just as well as a drop away if your bow is tuned properly. My current bow shoots identical speed with both rest designs, but I feel the whisker biscuit is more reliable.

Although my 13 year old bow was shooting great, I upgraded to a new bow 2 seasons ago and am very happy. Both bows hit the target in the same spots, but the new one is so much faster, more quiet, easier to draw/hold, and lighter.
I handed my old bow off to my brother who will take it on his first archery mule deer hunt this season.
I recommend upgrading your 15 year-old bow.

Guy on here is selling this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190511-083839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190511-083839_Chrome.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 16
Also, don't underestimate the simplicity of a whisker biscuit. It's a fool proof mechanism that will shoot just as well as a drop away if your bow is tuned properly. My current bow shoots identical speed with both rest designs, but I feel the whisker biscuit is more reliable.

I agree that the genius of the whisker biscuit is in its simplicity (I shot with one for 15 years) but to say it keeps the same speed as a drop-away rest cannot possibly be true. You can't have the entire surface area of the vanes contacting the "whiskers" and not lose some energy.

Upgrading a compound bow about 10yrs old you aren’t to notice much of a difference, anything older than that you will definitely notice it

Honestly most inconsistency issues on old bows came from crappy string materials. A 10 year old bow with new modern strings will shoot as good as any new bow out there.
If it were me I'd rather buy last year's flagship models from lots of companies which you can easily get for $5-$800. They will be better bows than the powermax. The powermax is a cast aluminum riser, and cam technology from 6ish years ago. It's recycled old technology they pump out as a mid priced bow.

I agree that the genius of the whisker biscuit is in its simplicity (I shot with one for 15 years) but to say it keeps the same speed as a drop-away rest cannot possibly be true. You can't have the entire surface area of the vanes contacting the "whiskers" and not lose some energy.
[/QUOT
I will acknowledge your theory because it was my exact thought before testing. My comment was based on chronograph results comparing a trophy ridge whisker biscuit to a QAD drop away that was properly timed. (On the same bow, with hundreds of arrows tested). Probably many other variables I could have looked at but speed was identical with my arrow set up.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back