Caribou Gear Tarp

Steel, Tungsten, Heavy Shot....

Moosie

Grand poopa
I hooked up with a new Friend that Gets the Good stuff for cheap. so the last couple outings I used heavy shot #2 for Geese and tungsten #6 for ducks. The birds went down fine (Except for some bad shooting and way long shots ;) )

Talk to me troops, which way do you go ?

Hevi Shot IMHO is the best. I bought HS #2's some at WalMart on a close out for $15 per box of 10. Still pricey buy worth it if you can afford it. It will kill birds effectively out as far you can ethically shoot.

Nemont

I have been waterfowling for many yrs and I really don't have much use for the cost of this stuff, I will say that Hevi-shot is by far the best for long range and pure killing power. For me the shots are usually close and not past 45yds so steel and 1.9/16 ounce loads in 2s or BBBs work very well. HAPPY HUNTING

It will kill birds effectively out as far you can ethically shoot.

Nemont

How far is is ethical? Isn't the distance kind of related to the type of shot you're shooting? I usually knock about 10-15 yards off if I shoot steel.

I have tried the heavy tungsten and quite frankly I prefer the el cheapo Kent Fasteel.

I shoot a 3 1/2 12 guage and use the 1 3/8 oz BBB shooting at 1550 fps. Stuff dies and I generally pass shoot.

Spend your money on a pattern master choke. Well worth it.

quite frankly I prefer the el cheapo Kent Fasteel.

Same here. I shoot the 2s when duck hunting and BB's if there is a chance I can get into geese. Personally I don't like the idea of shooting beyond 40 yds.

I hear good things about the tungsten steel, but IMHO it is too expensive for me to consider.

Personally I don't like the idea of shooting beyond 40 yds.

QUOTE]

Try a pattern master choke. Hard to really range geese but we are getting clean kills at 50 yards,easy. The choke is actually too tight for decoys (it is the long range version, I think they make others).

How far is is ethical? Isn't the distance kind of related to the type of shot you're shooting? I usually knock about 10-15 yards off if I shoot steel.

It depends on how good of a wing shooter you are. My limit is usually within 30 yards. When field hunting geese I always pace off how far the the farthest decoys are set in order know the distants. Even shooting hevi shot I try to be within that 30 yard limit on decoying birds. However, some guys can extend that range with hevi shot and comfortably take shots out past 45 yards and put the hammer down on birds.

I think it is important to know your skills and stay within them, that is what I consider ethical. Some guys are better shotgunners then others.

Hevi shot is deadly and is way more effective then standard steel shot.

Nemont

Kent Fasteel 3 inch #2's. Other than when I find a screaming deal on other loads, this is what I will shoot ducks and geese with from opening day until the end of the season.

I'm not a very good shot and I like to get 'em as close as possible. We do pretty good at getting birds to decoy to under 20 yards and I'd rather wipe out a flock of 10 geese in one volley than take rangey shots with a high likelihood of cripples. I've shot geese w/ 6 shot steel while hunting ducks over dekes, but that's just because I didn't have time to pump out the light stuff and pipe in some 2's.

If a guy is skilled enough to put the expensive stuff to good use and wants to either pass shoot or decoy poorly, then HeviShot may be worth it.

Sum y'all got mo $$$$ than me! I shoot steel 3" 3's and 4's Win Expert for Ducks. Mack's Prairie Wings gottem fur unner $200 per case......and I been waterfowl hunting longer than many of you been alive.....and I kill ducks...BTW, my semi and both Pumps will take 3 1/2" loads but my O/U won't
I do go to 3 1/2" BB or BBB on Canadas (Win Supreme) and 3 1/2" Xpert on Specks and Snows...steel.....usually have a #2 for first shot and BB or BBB for second or third.

Tom I just loaded up on the Kent Fasteel 3 1/2" BBB 12 guage for $179/case from Cabelas with the 3" way less. Give them a try they perform great. I don't think you will see any difference between them and the supremes.

I'm a user of the most economical I can find, if I don't have something I rolled myself available (7/8 oz of number 4 as fast as I can push it) Sometimes that's not the cheapest, but most of the time it's Winchester "experts" in 3" 3's or 4's, and whatever's on sale in 3" BB when I'm out of goose loads. That's mostly a hypothetical situation now, since I've not found good access for geese yet.

I like 3" bb, but I lure them in close.
I use a range finder and mark off 40 yards with a deek

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back