Yeti GOBOX Collection

Staying in shape and gearing up for fall hunts

Slightball

What's everyone doing to stay in shape or ramp up for upcoming fall hunts? I know it's easy to be discouraged watching professionals showing tips, etc. but when that's their job and are boots on the ground all the time, it's a little easier for them.

For some of us average office workers, with families waiting at home after work, what are some of the small things you do to help prep your body? I've been hiking as much as possible, with large elevation gains and adding some weight to my pack. Nothing crazy, but every little bit helps!

i crank miles on the road bike 5 or so days a week, run 2-3 days a week, and every weekend we can my wife and i are hiking mountains or backpacking. just so happens all that gets you into some crazy good shape.

gyms closing was the best thing to ever happen to me, i was starting to spend too much time in there. frankly i feel like for something that is relatively good for your body, nothing will slow you down more than going to the gym, unless all you do is the stair climber, which is not fun. hiking, running, and biking is fun

Well I'm in South Carolina visiting the in-laws and it looks like long walks on the beach punctuated by lots of food and some good beers will be my training for the next week or so! When we get back to Colorado it'll be mountain biking and hiking regularly with hopefully a weekend backpack trip or two mixed in. I'll include various body-weight exercises and light yoga too to try to retain what little muscle mass I have. A diet of mostly vegetables, meat and fish is important for me too!

Well I'm in South Carolina visiting the in-laws and it looks like long walks on the beach punctuated by lots of food and some good beers will be my training for the next week or so! When we get back to Colorado it'll be mountain biking and hiking regularly with hopefully a weekend backpack trip or two mixed in. I'll include various body-weight exercises and light yoga too to try to retain what little muscle mass I have. A diet of mostly vegetables, meat and fish is important for me too!
Come on running on the beach with any sort of wight will almost kill you, no excuses 🤣

I climb trees for a living so stay in relatively good shape. I try to go on hikes with the family as much as possible. I carry everyone’s extra stuff and a little extra for some weight. And when the 3 year old gets tired she gets added to the pack weight too. This weekend I got lucky and only had to carry her 1 out of 8 miles.

Walk to work (1.9 miles each way) carry 30lbs worth of tools for work in a pack.

Run (M-W-F) up to 4 miles as of today

Strength Train (Tu-Th-S)

Stretch/Rest on Sunday

Damn....i’m jealous of you guys. I can barely even get my work done with 3 kids home all day. Definitely need to start racking up some miles.

Damn....i’m jealous of you guys. I can barely even get my work done with 3 kids home all day. Definitely need to start racking up some miles.

we're kid-less, but that will only last a couple more years at most. what a perk during quarantine, i can't imagine

my time will come... indeed it will come

The gym finally opened back up so been back in there I found I lost a ton of muscle endurance and crash out way faster than before. So just a matter of hopefully the gym stays open.

also something I’ve started to do is when I’m doing yard work I will put my hunting pack on with a 40 or 45 bag of concrete can’t remember exactly the weight I taped it up so it doesn’t break open on me and in my pack.

Don't feel bad! I'm in the same boat with the kids, but I just got up a little earlier and started hiking. Every little bit helps. I also found a couple buddies who are down for some longer and most rigorous weekend trips. One key I would suggest, bite the bullet and get up early on a Saturday, hit the trail, get in 6-10 miles and be back by mid-morning to not miss-out with the family.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back