Staying busy

sigpros

Well since we can’t draw a tag anywhere the boy has been hitting the walnut picking pretty hard. 815 pounds tonight. And he has lots of places to still pick. He will be after it tomorrow afternoon after he serves breakfast for police department with his CAP squadron

Attachments

• B724C0C3-E5AD-4425-9A22-A3CAB09919A3.jpeg
    B724C0C3-E5AD-4425-9A22-A3CAB09919A3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
@sigpros
How do you go about getting the nut out of the hull and shell?

I recall family friends recounting putting the sack of walnut hulls in a gunny sack and rolling the family VW bug over it to get the hulls separate from the shell.

We don’t get the nuts out. Hammons in Stockton mo is the biggest supplier of black walnuts. They process and sell something like 90% of the black walnuts in the country. They set up hundreds of hulling stations around the Midwest. People run those around here it’s usually a high school kid for his ag project. We go to them they have a machine that beats the husk off and then the nuts with the shell on come out and go in a mash bag. They fill those up and weigh them and cut you a check. They are a buying agent for Hammons. They use the shells for abrasive blasting the way I understand it. It’s kind of a big deal around here. My boy has been doing it for 5 years and has lots of repeat places to pick. The neighbor lady even made him t shirts with is company logo on them.

He ended up picking 2473 pounds of walnuts. He made his goal of being able to buy an old Ford Jubilee tractor from a guy we know and is going to get it running and use it to plant some corn for his pigs next year And a food plot to bow hunt on.

Back