State with best draw results

Heck I'd be interested in that.Is that Montana?.I didnt think they sold otc.

If you want to hunt bulls (as opposed to cows) the farther you are from Calif., the better the odds get.
Of the three you list, Some units in New Mexico have decent odds.
If your willing to travel, as mentioned, Colorado and Idaho have some over the counter tags. Wyoming and Montana have decent odds on general tags.

Not 100% True about proximity. You can hunt elk in oregon OTC with a bow or rifle in several units.

That's not true at all. Before I purchase equipment of put in for a state, etc., I like to look at testomonials from real people. I don't come to get hooked on blog fever, I don't even like blogging, but as I stated in the last sentence. I do all the research on all the crap I can possibly research but I'm never sure that's why I came here on Hunt Talk. And so did every one of you. So who the hell are you two to say that "I don't even want to hunt elk", me taking it as an insult. I'm just trying to do more than I can do. But you all did knock some sense in my head that a hunt like this will take more time and effort than I've been asking about. So thank you all for your advice.
End of thread

Cabela's sells a really cool hunting game for the Wii that comes with a toy gun that you put the controls in...Bass Pro is selling a similar set up........try them out

Cabela's sells a really cool hunting game for the Wii that comes with a toy gun that you put the controls in...Bass Pro is selling a similar set up........try them out

:D Cheaper too!

Caveman,

Cush is a little annoyed (rightly so) that a newbie wants information for the good stuff without a proper introduction and a few shared stories before "juicing the orange".

The bulk of us are here to share our stories and read yours, so if you want to get serious about something all of us are passionate about, pull up a chair and stay a while and enjoy some hunttalk "blogging" as you called it.

It's not really wanting the information that was aggravating to me and probably also to John. It was the fact that almost every piece of advice that the OP was given was met with some kind of negative BS as to why he wouldn't go there, etc. I think the Wii game that John mentioned might be perfect until the OP gets serious since he sarcastically posted "End of Thread", so as far as I'm concerned, screw him from now on when he asks for advice!!!

Look I never intended to start an argument. I was just looking for helpful not cheap information on elk hunting until I lost it with BS replies but there's no need to over-react about it. I'm sorry I opened my big mouth on that last post even though you guys had the right thought about me putting good info down. God didn't put us here to hate each other over a stupid mistake. But John's comment was the one that really turned on my brain and it did change my whole opinion about elk hunting. So I'm sorry, I'm not trying to suck up or something but an honest apology.

Not 100% True about proximity. You can hunt elk in oregon OTC with a bow or rifle in several units.
Do you have an idea how far Oregon is from Southern Calif. ? Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona are all closer.

Look I never intended to start an argument.

Don't worry about it. Like most internet forums you can start an argument by saying "good morning".

There are some good points being made. Colorado elk country is probably an 18 hour drive for you, but they have tags sold “over the counter” (OTC), and there are lots of elk.

Cows taste just as good, and the tags are much easier to get, and they are easier to hunt.
For your first elk hunt, think about a cow, I believe cow tags are about $300 in Colorado.

If your planning on this fall, Colorado and Idaho are you best options with OTC tags. Looking to the future, start building points in one or more states. You can buy a point in Wyoming right now, just go to their web site.
Yes, Montana is expensive, but most other states are trying to catch up. Many states now charge close to a grand for an elk tag.

Thanks. I'm going to put in for CO next draw or maybe OTC for cow elk. I'm not ready for looking for a bull yet and I'm certain someone else could use that bull elk tag more than me. Meanwhile, I'll be putting in for NM for bonus points.

I'm thankful to God for sending these people to help me out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back