State of Idaho wants high fence hunting on state lands

Washington Hunter

I just can't believe the state of Idaho would allow this to happen. If this goes through I will not be spending my money in Idaho in the future. :mad: I will go to Montana where they outlawed high fence hunting completely.

Shooter bull operations proposed on state lands
WIN Staff
7/17/2006

Wild Idaho News has obtained documentation through the Freedom of Information Act which shows proposed high fence, game farm, "shooter buck and bull" or "Texas Style" hunting on land managed by the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL). The IDL manages Idaho State Endowment land for the purpose of maximizing the return on the land typically through grazing, mining, and logging.

The highly controversial shooter bull and buck operations involve Domestic Cervidae-or tame deer, elk, bison, and moose-which are typically raised in smaller "yards" or pens of approximately two to 20 acres, then released just hours before the "hunt" into larger enclosures of 40 to several hun*dred, or sometimes thousands of acres. Clients are then allowed inside the enclosure with a guide to "stalk and shoot" the pre-measured and marked animals. Prices for bull elk can range over the $12,000 mark for a single bull. Bucks can bring as much as $10,000 or more. The size of the antlers usually determines the cost. (see "ANTLERS" below)

Two operations are currently under consideration for lease, purchase, (or a combination of both on one application).

Ken and Tammie Walters, owners of the Shorts Bar Ranch two miles east on the Big Salmon Rd. out of Riggins, has applied to the IDL to lease two parcels totaling 140 acres of state ground. The application states that 1.5 miles of eight foot high fence would be constructed to enclose the acreage. The land borders Walters existing land and "would enlarge my hunting area for a more feasible operation." The application goes on to say that most of the fence line would have to be leveled and all large trees remove along the fence line for long term maintenance.

The Walters application is to go before the land board on August 8, during the regular meeting of the State Board of Land Commissioners in Boise. The application has a "recommendation to approve" from the regional IDL office in McCall. The office declined comment to WIN regarding the application. At press time additional information was forthcoming from that office.

The second and much larger proposed operation involving up to 2,040 acres of IDL land is in eastern Idaho, in Bingham County, next to and intermingled with the Gentillion Ranch. The new owner of the 4,000 acre Gentillion Ranch has also purchased the grazing rights to the Cedar Creek Grazing Association, an additional 5,000 acres of IDL land. This operation is a proposed move of an existing troubled operation from Utah, belonging to Rulon Jones.

The Jones application states three proposed options: Option One-a change of use for existing cattle grazing allotments to include the place*ment of eight foot fences; Option Two-a land exchange between Jones and the IDL, to "block in" the intermingled land; Option Three-just fence off two blocks of Cedar Creek Land.

The Jones operation north of Ogden, Utah "has had problems with ingress and egress of both domestic and wild cervidae since the day it opened, and continues today," said Scott Davis, Ogden office, Utah Department of Fish and Wildlife. Davis also confirmed the illegal take of a bull moose after season on the Jones property while on a hunt guided by Jones or his guides. Both the client and Jones were cited for multiple infractions.

WIN has also learned that the Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) has asked to comment on the proposed Jones project with regard to fence issues, spread of disease and other concerns. In an interdepartmental e-mail from Mark Gamblin, Region 5 Supervisor, Gamblin expresses concerns about the IDFG's in ability to have a voice in the application and approval process at the IDL.

Bob Bramer, from the Idaho Falls, IDL office, was asked by Gamblin if there would be an opportunity for the IDFG or the public to comment on the proposal. Bramer said no, that this is essentially a private matter between the landowner and the IDL.

In a phone interview with WIN, Bramer confirmed the Gamblin e-mail, "the public has no say in IDL matters of this type." When queried about sportsmen's concerns regarding the problems associated with game farms such as disease, continued problems of ingress and egress of wild and domestic cervidae in nearly all the surrounding area game farms, and the on going problems of Jones current op*eration in Utah, Bramer pro*fessed a lack of knowledge to any of those issues. "This is all new to us," he said and requested any information WIN had available.

Licensing, oversight, and monitoring of Domestic Cervidae is in the hands of the department of Agriculture. IDFG is only responsible the removal of wild cervidae inside of enclosures, and the capture of domestic cervidae once loose,

Shooter bull and related cervidae operations cost the IDFG on average approximately $100,000 annually across the state with the bulk of the costs coming from the Southeast and Upper Snake regions.

Game farms have increased in Idaho from approximately 24 in 2000 to the current level of 93. Much of this increase is due to the fact that many of the surrounding states have outlawed or are "grandfathering out" game farms. Many have turned to shooter operations as a way to increase the slim profit margins of non-shooter management.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANTLERS-The bulls and bucks in shooter bull or buck operations are usually "pre-scored," that is the antlers have been measured for size and scored according to standards set by Pope and Young for archery, and Boone and Crocket for firearms and other types of lethal take generally accepted by hunters. Animals taken on game farms are not allowed in these record books as the animal was not taken under generally accepted ethical fair chase conditions.

http://www.wildidahonews.com/pages/article.asp?article=35

Its a pretty crazy article to say the least and the "recomendation to approve" from the McCall office is shameless in my opinion. IDL really needs to refocus some of their land use, between this crap and losing money on its grazing allotments they need to take a serious look at what they are doing. Maybe this is what Idaho needs to finally take a stand on game farms and shut them down. I'm sure I'll hear plenty more about this next monday when I head into work. Reading more in the article it is apparent that the IDL folks who are involved in this really may have no idea what they are getting into which is a bit scary.

I am going to do what I can to get this out in the open and hopefully something can be done. No public comment and it costs IDFG $100K a year? Seems that hunters and fishermen are subsidizing one more BS operation in this state. Maybe it's time to go back to WY to hunt.

The National Wildlife Ass. in Idaho needs to be contacted, then if all you sportsmen write the governer of Idaho, you might get the comment period extended. You can then organize sportsman to get meetings going and plan an attack. If you belong to sportsman groups,wildlife orgs. ect. call your directors, get the ball rolling. Only Idahonians can fix this mess.
State Land agencies can be oblivious to concerns of sportsmen.
Not only do game farmers want to lock their land off to wildlife, but they want public lands also. This biggest problem is how far right to which Idaho politically sits.
You can't let them use this as a property rights issue cause this has slipped past that. Now they want to use state property. Wow, let this one go and pandora's box is open.

Shoots Straight, Funny you should advise going to the Idaho Chapter of the Nat'l Wildlife Federation. Most of the looney tune idiotic hunters in Idaho are 100% against the NWF. They regard it as some kind of communist organization.:rolleyes:

Most of the looney tune idiotic hunters in Idaho are 100% against the NWF. They regard it as some kind of communist organization.

Well Ith, if standing up for Hunting rights, conservation of our game animals, and fighting this type of corporate take over,means their communist, then they'd be right.

If you want to save guns. Join the NRA. If you want to save Elk Join the Elk Foundation, If you want to save habitat, fight for hunters rights, and work for balance between development and our environment, then get involved with the National Wildlife Federation. They fight at the state level.

Most of our sportsmans orgs here in Montana are affiliated with this organization, and have reps at each meeting. They fight hard on issues like this. Without them we'd never got game farm hunting stopped.

I

the public has no say in IDL matters of this type.

Isn't it against the law to complain what the states and federal government is doing anymore?:confused:

Why is Bramer answering questions anyway...that is a good way to lose his job and become a lobbyist for the industries he works for already:rolleyes:

Why aren't the hunters of Idaho up in arms about this?:confused:

I would guess hunters aren't up in arms is because its a recent article that has had very limited distribution as well as lots of people not really knowing what IDL does. I'm going to do what I can to get it distributed to some people I know.

This is a sorry state of affairs for Idaho sportsmen. :mad:

IWF needs to get started on this and get it stopped before it gets started.

Back