Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Starting Out (Iron Range MN)

Necrovarius

Hey all,
New to the forum, and a new addition to hunting. Just started last year and I have went through Hunters Training and got my license for last year and this year. I own a 12ga Stoeger Pump Action and a Model 60 .22 (125 anniversary NRA edition).
Anyways, I went out for the first time yesterday as Crow/Rail/Snipe season just opened, and took along my 12ga just in case (Coyotes and such in the area). I didn't find anything but had a really good hike. all was said and done, I was incredibly sore the next day and tired, but what i really want to know, is how one finds out what is in a specific area. I searched for tracks, and found plentiful amounts of acorns for chipmunks and squirrel, mostly a covered canopy so it was slightly darker on the trail. I looked for scat, and makrs, but only found bark peels where animals have rubbed for scratching an itch.

TLDR: How do you scout an area for the first time. What do you bring along? What do you look for?
Also, any Northern MN hunters up here?

Welcome from western MN!

It really depends on what you are scouting for! Grouse? Deer? Ducks? Crows? All would be different. Assuming deer, look for scat and tracks. Those are the easiest to see and if you find fresh stuff, you will be in deer.

If crows, I would get a crow call and toot on that a time or two as you will not likely find crow tracks or scat.

Beyond that, there are two things to help you learn about hunting. First, watch some videos. Randy has some great ones out there to help the new hunter. Second, spend time in the woods. Nothing beats boots on the ground.

Lastly, you do not need to carry a 12 ga because of coyotes. Leave that heavy thing at home on scouting trips, but be sure to bring it as soon as grouse hunting season starts!

Awesome Advice! yeah, my shoulders really hurt after the trip (I have atrophy in my left shoulder, trying to build it back up)

I went last year for Grouse, and saw a few, but I was too slow to shoulder and aim. I was worried I will identify wrong and shoot something i am not supposed to.

I really didn't think I needed the gun, but since I am newer to firearms, I wanted to get into the habit of carrying it. Enough to be proficient. i have lived in these woods since i was 3, so I know I am safe. Most animals leaves us alone.

Eventually I will work on Deer Hunting, but for now, I really dont have a way or knowledge to drag it out of the woods, clean it, and store it. Maybe with a friend someday, who knows. Turkey would be nice though, seen a lot of them this year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back