Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Starter bow

sbrville

Looking to get back into archery. The bow I have is probably and 80’s or 90’s pse. What do I buy? Used bow? Cheap starter? Nice new bow? Looking at diamond or cheap raptor on Amazon? Just want something to try and see if this is for me. On a budget but don’t want a bow that will discourage me. Thanks SB

Are you looking to only get back into archery or are you planning to get into bowhunting?? To try and see if its for you, (the sport of bowhunting) why not use the existing bow? The shot on game is the smallest part of the act of bowhunting.

If you only plan to enjoy bowhunting, you really need to visit a pro shop to try a lot of bows to see what fits and feels best. If you just pick a bow you can get on the cheap, you might not really like archery because the bow is not right for you. The fit and comfort of the bow can make or break your success. You will enjoy archery if you shoot well and be frustrated if you shoot poorly. Trying a lot of bows and finding the one that will lead you to success is a big part
A pro shop is there for exactly this reason.

Don't buy a bow you cant shoot first. I shoot expensive bows not but my first two bows were ready to shoot packages from BPS and they were perfectly adequate. I think both cost less than $400. If you can, go to a BPS, pro shop, or even a Dicks sporting goods that has an indoor archery lane to shoot and find what you like. With new bows, I don't think you will be disappointed, the differences in expensive and cheap bows are relatively minor. Good luck!

Best I can give you if your trying to stick to low budget. Get a New Bear RTH package. It will be more that adequate for for hunting and for pleasure shooting. Frankly they are a pretty good setup, Way better then what I started with, would be more then happy to hunt with one now if I needed to. Specific models are Species, or Approach. There 2020 versions have a different name that I cannot recall at the moment but they are basically the same I believe. PSE sells some really nice starter setups too that you would be hard pressed to upgrade from if we are talking what you actually need. I have an expensive bow cause its a hobby, there is really no practical reason.

I have a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. It shoots well for me, I have had it for about a year. The rest and sight that came with it were garbage but I had a decent sight on on the craigslist bow I started with. Picked up a whisker biscuit and everything is good. My beginner stalking skills prevented me from getting a shot during my deer season, but it has been accurate on target shooting.

I have a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. It shoots well for me, I have had it for about a year. The rest and sight that came with it were garbage but I had a decent sight on on the craigslist bow I started with. Picked up a whisker biscuit and everything is good. My beginner stalking skills prevented me from getting a shot during my deer season, but it has been accurate on target shooting.
I was looking at this exact bow Just can’t decide on something like this or a cheap bear or pse. Also like the idea of a used bow that someone has already put a nice rest and sight on, just don’t know what to look for on a used bow as far as being wore out or anything. Thanks for all the help. Sb

I was looking at this exact bow Just can’t decide on something like this or a cheap bear or pse. Also like the idea of a used bow that someone has already put a nice rest and sight on, just don’t know what to look for on a used bow as far as being wore out or anything. Thanks for all the help. Sb
Your biggest wear point is strings and cables. Those are pretty cheap to replace in the grand scheme.

Most shops sell used on consignment or similar. If yours does they should be able to speak to wear and the like.

If you can visit an actual shop rather than he big box locales that’d be my recommendation.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back