Start them right

ElkFever2

Attached pic was from a week of high country backpacking and chasing golden trout. Bighorns near Sheridan - 1991

One of the best gifts I received from my parents was early and ample exposure to wild places in the rocky mountain west. There were a ton of camping and fishing trips before I turned 2 years old. I was brought along mostly because it was their passion, and it was cheaper than paying a babysitter, but I'm very grateful to have been a part of the fun. While I don't have much memory of these things, I have to believe it did a lot to shape my worldview and values as an adult. It's good motivation to continuously involve my 2-year old in my fishing/hiking/wildlife watching and (as soon as my wife approves) hunting.

WY.jpg

justdada

Great memories! My folks weren't as dedicated to hiking in, but I appreciate them getting me out young and enjoying the outdoors!

KipCarson

One of the best gifts I received from my parents was early and ample exposure to wild places in the rocky mountain west.
Totally agree! I’m grateful for many similar experiences, it definitely shapes a person. My dad started taking me deer hunting by the house when I was 4, by 9 he had handed me a 410 shotgun and had me deer and squirrel hunting totally on my own. And by 12 he had started teaching me to bowhunt. I remember my 12th birthday sitting in Chuckie Cheese eating pizza. My dad said “What do you think about going with me hunting to Colorado this year?” I said “It would be fun but I have to be 16 before I can hunt with you there right?” He said “Well lucky for you they dropped the hunting age in Colorado to 12 and I’m buying you a deer tag for your birthday!” Back then it was only around $50-75 for an OTC NR youth tag if I remember correct and it was money well spent!!