Standing rock reservation

cheeser

Drew an antelope tag need some general information if anyone is willing to share?

Some general areas to start looking, this is my first antelope hunt not looking for trophies just good areas to find them on the reservation lands, s.d. or n.d.

Maybe the bests dates to hunt rifle season sept 11-oct 17.

Thanks in advance
Cheeser

An enrolled member here. Your best bet is to spot and stalk within the western regions of both state boundaries of the Reservation. OnX has a decent representation of up-to-date tribal and allotted lands. As Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Game and Fish mentions, Alloted land can be posted as No Hunting by the land owner or with their permission. I'd recommend ordering a map from the SRST G&F website.

Drew an antelope tag need some general information if anyone is willing to share?

Some general areas to start looking, this is my first antelope hunt not looking for trophies just good areas to find them on the reservation lands, s.d. or n.d.

Maybe the bests dates to hunt rifle season sept 11-oct 17.

Thanks in advance
Cheeser
How did you end up doing? I just got the email today saying I was successful, did a quick google search this evening and this thread popped up. Any info you are willing to offer I’m all ears!

How did you end up doing? I just got the email today saying I was successful, did a quick google search this evening and this thread popped up. Any info you are willing to offer I’m all ears!
You are in for a very tough antelope search.

Actually if you head into the Grand River there's a guy there name Henry Standing Bear that will provide you access to some excellent private land if you mention that you're a Hunt Talker. Make sure you have your license with you and he can sign the back of it.

You are in for a very tough antelope search.
Why do you say that? Winter kill? NDGF cut tags and closed the unit that I apply in but I’m still seeing the same numbers I’ve been seeing for the last 5 so I don’t get it.

Actually if you head into the Grand River there's a guy there name Henry Standing Bear that will provide you access to some excellent private land if you mention that you're a Hunt Talker. Make sure you have your license with you and he can sign the back of it.
Thanks for the headed up. It’s my first time drawing a standing rock tag so I’m sure there will be quite the learning curve.

I hunted there a few years ago. Had success on a smallish antelope but overall saw very few antelope. There is definitely a lot to learn when hunting on rez land.

Some antelope on the reservation but tougher hunt overall. Probably better for a hunter with limited time to hunt some of the Wyoming units. Not trying to spoil your hunt or post negative information but just being honest. Have a great hunt, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

When you're in Grand River ask a couple locals to get you into the Red Pony. It's a local speakeasy with cold suds and the best food in town but they don't advertise - mostly to keep the tourists out. The jalapeno bison burger is excellent if you like a little heat.

When you're in Grand River ask a couple locals to get you into the Red Pony. It's a local speakeasy with cold suds and the best food in town but they don't advertise - mostly to keep the tourists out. The jalapeno bison burger is excellent if you like a little heat.
I can handle the heat. I made a few calls and spoke with a local named Walt, who happens to be good friends with Henry Standing Bear, that can get me the hookup at the Red Pony. He recommended the habaneros instead of the jalapeños.

Some antelope on the reservation but tougher hunt overall. Probably better for a hunter with limited time to hunt some of the Wyoming units. Not trying to spoil your hunt or post negative information but just being honest. Have a great hunt, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
The Rez land is about a two hour drive from my place so I should be able to get down there quite a bit over the 8 week season. It will be my first pronghorn tag as ND is dang near impossible to draw.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back