Squirrel Fever!

I wish I could find squirrels here anywhere other than my backyard.
there is a small population of Aberts in Wyoming (my guess is the Snowys). Look for Ponderosa Pine. I do not know if they are legal in Wyoming however, but I do know you have got them.

The Benjamin Air Rifle Company was created for the Backyard Hunting Expedition. Just sayin'...

there is a small population of Aberts in Wyoming (my guess is the Snowys). Look for Ponderosa Pine. I do not know if they are legal in Wyoming however, but I do know you have got them.

The Benjamin Air Rifle Company was created for the Backyard Hunting Expedition. Just sayin'...

I've only seen red squirrels up there which are pretty darn small fer eatin'. A bad ricochet off the neighbor's steel siding has put me off the air rifle idea.

I've only seen red squirrels up there which are pretty darn small fer eatin'. A bad ricochet off the neighbor's steel siding has put me off the air rifle idea.
Bow with a bow fishing rig so the arrow doesn't go awry? ;) I've sat and considered many an option in the late fall. I have a 2n'd story deck that touches the tree canopy....the dog loves it.

But my true favorite and the way that 95% of my squirrels get eat is grilled slow after marinating for a few hours or a day in the fridge.

marinade quarters in
3/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c olive oil
1.5 t garlic powder (or a few crushed garlic cloves)
1.5 t ginger powder (or an amount of sliced or chopped fresh ginger root)
2 T honey
2 T vinegar

Emulsify the marinade in a blender or whisk well.

I really do not know of a better way to eat squirrels than this. It is the finest wild game meal I know.

I tried this recipe last night with a few pine squirrels and it was delicious, way better than frying in my opinion. Thank you BrentD!

That's a nice receipt, I think one day I'll also make a dish of red squirrels. I'll call squirrel removal services next week. Because I'm fed up with the red squirrels. They sneak into my house, disturb me, and damage my furniture. My little daughter is afraid of squirrels, but she likes to watch them on the trees. She says that it's okay when they are on the trees and not in our house. In truth, we love animals and we don't kill them, but sometimes animals can be so annoying. We even have a cat and a duck at home.

Last edited:
I grew up squirrel hunting the eastern hardwood forests of southern Illinois & Missouri. I didn't get to deer hunt until I was 14 (lack of opportunity), some duck hunting mixed in. But squirrels were about it for several years of my young life.

Season opens far earlier than others, it gets you into the woods during good weather, it provides a lot of action, is a great buddy hunt, and you can get access to private lands a lot easier than trying to chase deer or turkeys.

It's also an opportunity to work on woodsmanship, and the chance to take out some old guns that don't get to see much use- a stock loading Browning 22, the Henry, a Savage .410/.22, a 16ga Model 11, an Ithaca 20 ga, and a few other inherited pieces that just don't get the nod for chasing ducks, geese, or turkeys.

And then you're home somewhere between 9-11, squirrels cleaned, followed by biscuits & gravy. There's something very nostalgic about it, and it's something I really miss since moving to Montana. Definitely want to find some more small game opportunities out here, just for some fun hunting.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back