Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Spring snow geese

We plan on doing quite a bit of research and looking into the guides “backgrounds” as much as possible, have a full year (Spring 2023) to do it but also know that in guiding, if your worth a damn, you’re likely already booking out that far.

I had one amazingly bad experience with an outfitter on a deer hunt (won at a CDA dinner) and am NOT looking to repeat ever again. They can’t help what nature and the weather throws their way but sure the hell are responsible for how they react/prepare for it. Thanks guys!

A few friends and I are going to Missouri Feb 11-13th for our first spring snow trip. We called a bunch of outfitters all along the migration and found this to fit our timeline and needs really well. But there are so many options out there it's stunning. Every outfitter talked to us about timing and being flexible. I'm really excited and would be happy to share my experience when we get back!

Just got back from Arkansas hunting with Eaglehead Outdoors; we killed 87 in 3 days.
We had a really windy day Friday and the birds got out quick when we shot; ended up with 8 birds, but should have had 20+ with better shooting and a little less wind.
Saturday we ended with 50 and hunted both the morning and afternoon since the migration was getting towards the end and birds were moving all day.
We had a 13 hour drive back on Sunday, so we hunted until 10 and killed 27 before heading out. It was 4 of us, so a party of 3 joined us. They hunted all day Sunday and added 38 more birds after we left.
The first two days were mostly juvies with a few adults mixed in; Sunday was more adults/ross.
Shots were 25-35 yds mostly and we hunted layout blinds the first two days and A-frames in Sunday.
I thought the birds would see the A-frame since it stuck up 5', but they had the wind/sun in their face and never seemed to notice us until we stood up

I had told the guys to expect one good day, one decent day and one not so good day because you never know what will happen. We were happy with how everything played out.
IMG_4047.jpg
IMG_4056.jpg
I'm the ugly one on the front right!

@MarvB did you end up booking a hunt?

Well Nick we had a bit of a stumble… my waterfowl hunting partner took a fall while limbing up in a tree a while back, basically impaled himself on a lower limb and now has to go in for surgery as it formed some kind of “encapsulated hematoma” next to his kidney. We decided to push it back a season as both the doc and his Mrs were giving him the stank eye over our plans (which would have been three weeks post surgery). It sucks but maybe it will beneficial to do a bit more research as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A few friends and I are going to Missouri Feb 11-13th for our first spring snow trip. We called a bunch of outfitters all along the migration and found this to fit our timeline and needs really well. But there are so many options out there it's stunning. Every outfitter talked to us about timing and being flexible. I'm really excited and would be happy to share my experience when we get back!

Any results you can share???

Well Nick we had a bit of a stumble… my waterfowl hunting partner took a fall while limbing up in a tree a while back, basically impaled himself on a lower limb and now has to go in for surgery as it formed some kind of “encapsulated hematoma” next to his kidney. We decided to push it back a season as both the doc and his Mrs were giving him the stank eye over our plans (which would have been three weeks post surgery). It sucks but maybe it will beneficial to do a bit more research as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ouch, sorry to hear about your hunting partner. More time to research for sure.

FWIW, the hatch this year was pretty incredible, so this should be a good year for numbers. We will be in SD the last week of March.

It’s about to get late here, but if anyone want to roll their own hunt, I could probably hook you up with some rice fields here in SE Mo. We’ve had good numbers lately, but it won’t last much longer. PM me if I can help.

Ouch, sorry to hear about your hunting partner. More time to research for sure.
Edit* not sure why it replied to nick @MarvB

What a blast! We got 115 in three days! And it could have been many more. Day one was amazing and we got 73. Day two was just as good of a flight but the cold front came in, temps in the teens with 20+ mph winds. We would get one round off but that's it. The guns were freezing!! The third day was no wind so we only got one group to commit and we got 8 I think. Super fun and would absolutely go again. We were there the opening weekend and the big migration wasn't there just yet. The guides said a few weeks later and it gets real. The pile is day one. The rows were on day two. 13624~2.jpeg13680~3.jpeg

It’s about to get late here, but if anyone want to roll their own hunt, I could probably hook you up with some rice fields here in SE Mo. We’ve had good numbers lately, but it won’t last much longer. PM me if I can help.
If only I was still in KY.
It is very generous of you to offer the opportunity, hopefully someone takes you up on it!

If only I was still in KY.
It is very generous of you to offer the opportunity, hopefully someone takes you up on it!
You know what it can be like around here, if someone asks how many geese I always use the hundreds of acres covered by a flock so they can have a grasp of the sheer numbers. We haven’t had as many huge numbers, this year as the weather has fluctuated wildly and the freeze line has been mostly farther south than usual. Still some pretty impressive flights though. I suspect we have peaked for the year though.
If you come back for a visit hit me up.

Great post @Cdduncan, appreciate the follow up 👍🏻 What part of Missouri we’re you guys in?

@stevejfarms nice to have that accessibility, around here and NorCal so much of the ground worth a damn is tied up/leased!
They lease some around here, but I’ve probably only seen about 10 of the big decoy spreads this winter. There are 10’s of thousands of acre of rice stubble within a couple miles of my place, a lot of them join me (I don’t grow rice). The 2 largest rice farmers in the state are right down the road. 😉

Back