Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spring snow geese

Got back Sunday night. We hunted by Yankton, SD and didn't do worth a sh*t. I don't know much about hunting snows in the spring but there just weren't any birds where we were. The guide said their best day this year was about 50 birds which I was pretty shocked to hear. We shot 17 in 3 days. Had a great time with friends but I would definitely not go back to the same place.
My experience with shooting spring snows was almost identical to yours. However, we saw a ton (hundreds of thousands) of birds, but nothing would drop in. I'm not sure we got to 17 total in our 3 days, also by Yankton. This was 5 years ago and was around March 15th.

Thanks for the intel @Flatrock and @SwaggyD, appreciate it! We’re you guys hinting the River bottoms around Yankton or more so field hunts? Also how was the wind? Hunting snows in NorCal if it wasn’t windy you might as well just pack it in, nothing would fly

Thanks for the intel @Flatrock and @SwaggyD, appreciate it! We’re you guys hinting the River bottoms around Yankton or more so field hunts? Also how was the wind? Hunting snows in NorCal if it wasn’t windy you might as well just pack it in, nothing would fly
We were hunting fields. Had a cold front come through and push a bunch of birds south. That’s why the numbers were so high.

We were field hunting a few miles off the water. We had decent conditions with wind but 99% of what we saw was migrating and they had zero interest in dropping way down.

In SD now, and migration is wonky. Adults are north already, but juvis are strung out from Arkansas to Canada. It's been tough hunting, 4 guys averaging 30 birds. Only seeing 1/3 the number birds as last year.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back