Spring bear

Eh, winter’s days are numbered.
0B35BEA8-0E9B-4180-854D-0AF0487C4333.jpeg

I have 17 days penciled in May/June for a trip to SW MT, my first armed hike toting a bear tag. Started getting gear ready the week after getting back from WY elk hunting. Last week started reps up and down my basement stairs with boots and a heavy pack.

We have a long ways to go with all the snow we have this year. Baits will probably start real slow as well there will be lots of winter kill for the bears to clean up

Me and a buddy are coming up from Louisiana for spring bear this May. Incredibly excited and completely overwhelmed e-scouting lol. We will either be flying into Spokane and hunting Central/North ID / Western MT or fly into Boise and hunt N-NE of there. We have experience backcountry hunting & fishing but have never chased bear. Any tips, pointers, suggestions are more than welcome!

We are looking to do spot & stalk. Planning on flying up May 20-21 and heading back around the 28th.

Arizona’s season opens in 6 weeks. I spent this last weekend checking out some new spots. They are getting 12” of snow this morning. I drew a spring tag so my season will run late March to the end of July.

This is going to be my first year buying a bear tag. I'm pretty excited to confirm if all the spots where I see a lot of sign actually hold quality bears.

Whoa. Just checked on Mr. PaulRevere's bear from 3 years ago, he killed a small sow (no cubs obviously). It was aged at 26!

View attachment 213993
That's badass have a friend that killed 2 back to back 17 and 18 year old bears. Pretty wild for sure......

Oldest bear I've heard of was 31 from the tooths. I betcha that SOB had some stories to tell....

I need to go spring bear hunting again - been way to long since I last went (10 ish years)

I don't know if anyone will still see this but I am planning on going up to Idaho for spring bear this year. My plan was to go to unit 10. Does anyone have insight on grizzly density? I've had two prospective hunting partners cancel on me and I don't know if I want to hunt a grizzly riddled place alone... as my first hunt in grizzly country...

I don't know if anyone will still see this but I am planning on going up to Idaho for spring bear this year. My plan was to go to unit 10. Does anyone have insight on grizzly density? I've had two prospective hunting partners cancel on me and I don't know if I want to hunt a grizzly riddled place alone... as my first hunt in grizzly country...
Not dense, not dense at all. There was one living in the Kelly Creek region a couple years ago, but that was so special it came with press releases from IDF&G that there was a grizzly on the area.

So if you do actually see one, report it to F&G.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back