Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Spring bear

I’ve kept pretty detailed snowpack vs observed green up data for various elevations over the last decade. April temp and precip matters a fair bit obviously, can change things. Places in this general area typically ready the second or third week of May are on track to be huntable around the 1st.

The first week? Of May, or June? I looked the current data recently. Still shows over 30 inches of water up there. I really appreciate the insight. Last year I went up a bit to soon and couldn't even get my truck up to the trail head.

Plan to be in Idaho unit 12 the first full week of May. Pretty sure the gates will still be locked then so we will backpack in.

haven't been spring bear hunting but once,,,and that was in BC
may have to plan a boondoggle,,you guys are getting me fired back up

The Seeley area roads open on May 1st. The snow and soft roadbeds will be an issue like normal. We are behind normal snowpack, but the SNOTEL North Fork Jocko shows 94 inches at 0800hrs today. The elevation is 6100 feet, and the town of Seeley is 4000 feet with bare ground. Last week there was a report of a sow and yearly cub on the upper part of the Double Arrow. The photos of the tracks were claimed to be Grizzly, but claw marks were not visible in the snow. My guess they were Black bears, but the pictures were of poor quality. There was a report of a Grizzly in the Ovando area recently according to the local USFS office.

The Seeley area roads open on May 1st. The snow and soft roadbeds will be an issue like normal. We are behind normal snowpack, but the SNOTEL North Fork Jocko shows 94 inches at 0800hrs today. The elevation is 6100 feet, and the town of Seeley is 4000 feet with bare ground. Last week there was a report of a sow and yearly cub on the upper part of the Double Arrow. The photos of the tracks were claimed to be Grizzly, but claw marks were not visible in the snow. My guess they were Black bears, but the pictures were of poor quality. There was a report of a Grizzly in the Ovando area recently according to the local USFS office.
Griz have been out in the Seeley area. I don’t have the specific location, but an old neighbor of mine builds these super high end DSLR camera traps and got a great photo of a monster of a bear on one the other day.

Plan to be in Idaho unit 12 the first full week of May. Pretty sure the gates will still be locked then so we will backpack in.

Called the ranger district today. Looks like gates are to be unlocked May 1. Will get there May 2, so I'll at least be able to drive in a bit.

Griz have been out in the Seeley area. I don’t have the specific location, but an old neighbor of mine builds these super high end DSLR camera traps and got a great photo of a monster of a bear on one the other day.
March 24th 2019 watched a grizzly on Salmon lake wandering around on the ice near the lake house. This was in the afternoon while a number of guys were ice fishing on the north end. They were keeping an eye on him but he went south towards the game range. They do come out early in the spring.

Being lazy this year. Heading up to Ontario in June to hunt with a outfitter friend of mine. It’s just me, him and his son this year.
After 2 years of zero pressure, it should be an awesome hunt.

E1D9EDF7-4A82-4EC9-A084-17E5A7AEBC8D.jpeg
First bear sighting of the year for me a couple weeks ago, SW MT

Pretty young, rubbed. Nice surprise whilst shed hunting.

Back