Spring bear hunt

Ektoras

Hello folks im interested in a spring bear hunt this year, ive never done it before any suggestions about where and when in the west im not asking for any super specific unit or something just some direction if possible . PS spot and stalk suggestions!

Search feature. Lots info to study. Then you can start to help yourself

E-scout for areas that melt off first in alpine roadless areas. It’s all about food. Find that green.

My suggestion might be to use Google to figure out where (what state) you want to hunt, as I think you’ll find articles on the internet that discuss this specific issue in depth. From there, once you figure out where you want to go, come back here and use the search function to find specific threads on the density, access, etc, for that state. Then use those threads and the video I posted above to plan our your hunt areas (plan A, B, and C). As @Red Fox mentioned, and others will tell you, weather will impact your plans, so it’s good to have multiple.

I was in your same shoes last year, I had some tips from HT members and research I did. My group of 3 went out May 24-30 in western MT. There was still snow in the high basins. All my research showed to follow the melting snow line, we tried this for several days and never saw a bear. Changed things up the last half of the hunt and dropped elevation to logging roads, etc. We started seeing bears.

Interesting enough we saw a bear chase a cow elk out of this thicket and the calf started screaming, for the next two hours the cow was hanging around that area, never saw the bear again. I believe that late May/early June when the calves/fawns are dropping, those are the areas the bears will be in. Maybe earlier/Mid May is the time to follow the snow line.

We had a great time last year and are going back this year to the same spot. We should have went 2/3 on bears, but stuff happened and only went 1/3. We have a better understanding of the area this year, so we are confident we can see bears right off the get go, rather than the tail end of the hunt.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk. I've received help in the past and gave help, IMO we sportsman are in this together, all of us have received help at some point or another throughout our life/hunting journey.

-Yooper

Reactions: LCH
Washington has no 2022 spring hunting. They canceled it. The 30,000 resident bears that live here must be relieved.

Back