Caribou Gear Tarp

Spring bear hunt 2015

Dgaugler33

I'm planning on going on my first spot n stalk bow bear hunt in Montana next spring. I've been in the mountains of Colorado quite a few times so not a stranger to the west. Im driving from Indiana. I'm looking into the lewis and Clark forest. North of white sulphur springs and south of Monarch. I know there's bears in that area but does that area have a decent population? I'm bringing my girlfriend also and she will be trying for her first bow bear. She is not a fan of grizz hence why we aren't going too far west. Will it be a waste going that Far East?

I cant say it will be a waste going that far east. I shot mine WAY farther east that that this year and my dads friend shot one somewhere north of white sulpher. His was trying to share a bed with him in the back of the truck at night and raid his camp while cooking breakfast though. However, I am not sure about the populations of bears in the area. But if you plan to hunt the forest. There is a good chance of bear being in the area.

Monarch area has a huge population of black bear.
And a lot of public land. there is a few problems hunting there.
One- Access in the spring can SUCK the snow can stick around till past the season. There is a LOT of privet land sprinkled in and you WILL need a map and GPS.
Two -Most the bears are on the privet lands.
And Three, -being so close to Great Falls and Helena there is a HUGE population of hunters there too...
:(

Thanks for the Info guys! I'm still trying to convince her that the dense black bear areas are also where the grizz are. My original area I was wanting to try is swan valley/flathead area. I'm wanting to stay far from any roads and or pressure to avoid stepping on any other hunters toes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back