Spring Bear 2021

JV842

Saw that apps are due for 2021 on December 16. Me n my mother r planning on going w my uncle on his salmon boat out of Homer in the spring of ‘21. Was trying to do our apps today but getting confused (not hard for me). I will be a normal nonres, my mother will be a non res w 2nd degree kinship.
Have texted my uncle for clarification but no answer yet.
Does this app period apply to us, is there a “general” spring bear code, or is the codes I see listed the only ones (very few tags if so)?
First time applying in AK, so sorry about all the ?’s
AZ, CO, n MT app process seem to a bit more straight forward to me

SInce you're talking about the "2nd kindred rule", I'm guessing you're looking at a brown bear hunt? You are ineligible to hunt brown bear under that rule - you would have to hire a guide. You only need to draw a tag for particular hunts - for brown bears, that would notably be Kodiak. Just about all the mainland coast and the ABC islands are huntable with a non-resident brown bear tag. IF I misread your question and you're going on a black bear hunt, neither you or your mom need to be concerned about th 2nd kindred rule - blackies are huntable without a guide by nonresidents.
You need to take a better look at the regs - permit hunts will be designated, in the GMU breakdowns, as will seasons and bag limits.

Can you clarify what and which unit you will be hunting?

I'm guessing unit 15 if you are going out of homer?

That is a registration hunt, http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbearhunting.hunt_details&huntfile_id=22192

If you are looking at Kodiak then it's either a draw hunt or a registration hunt.

The only black bear hunts that require drawing a permit are in SE AK units 1-3.

Check the guide for more info. Note your mom as a second degree can hunt a brown/grizzly bear but you will not be able to without a guide.

SInce you're talking about the "2nd kindred rule", I'm guessing you're looking at a brown bear hunt? You are ineligible to hunt brown bear under that rule - you would have to hire a guide. You only need to draw a tag for particular hunts - for brown bears, that would notably be Kodiak. Just about all the mainland coast and the ABC islands are huntable with a non-resident brown bear tag. IF I misread your question and you're going on a black bear hunt, neither you or your mom need to be concerned about th 2nd kindred rule - blackies are huntable without a guide by nonresidents.
You need to take a better look at the regs - permit hunts will be designated, in the GMU breakdowns, as will seasons and bag limits.
+1
CC.jpg

Didn’t mean use of guide or not, just was under the assumption that 2nd kindred payed resident cost on tags
School me if wrong!!

My mom ain’t going to be too happy w that!! Looks like I know what to get her for Christmas!!!!
Like I had said in previous posts, my uncle up there is a great man, hell of a firefighter, pastor, n salmon boat capt. Just ain’t much into hunting, got some bunk info

are you hunting black bear or brown bear? don't need to be 2nd kindred for black bear and the southside of kachemak bay and around the corner towards gore point has some great blackbear hunting. takes a bit of work to find anything over 6 1/2 feet, but a 6-6 1/2 footer is very realistic.

and who is your uncle, i have lived in homer and halibut cove my whole life, i might know him

Didn’t mean use of guide or not, just was under the assumption that 2nd kindred payed resident cost on tags
School me if wrong!!

You REALLY need to do a lot more homework, if this was your understanding.
Another thing to consider: if your uncle doesn't have a hunting license or a transporter's license when he takes you & your mom out and the troopers check on you, he could "possibly" lose his boat. If he is acting as a "transporter" (and that's an argument that could be made by troopers, if he wasn't hunting too), his equipment could be confiscated along with hefty fines applied. It has happened - infractions to the game laws have resulted in loss of: guns, camping gear, 4 wheelers, trucks, boats and airplanes

You REALLY need to do a lot more homework, if this was your understanding.
Another thing to consider: if your uncle doesn't have a hunting license or a transporter's license when he takes you & your mom out and the troopers check on you, he could "possibly" lose his boat. If he is acting as a "transporter" (and that's an argument that could be made by troopers, if he wasn't hunting too), his equipment could be confiscated along with hefty fines applied. It has happened - infractions to the game laws have resulted in loss of: guns, camping gear, 4 wheelers, trucks, boats and airplanes
Only if he was paying his uncle... and they would have to prove it... but their family so I can imagine any issue.
You can do all the guiding and transporting you want in any state as long as its free.

No laws against hunting with friends and family.

Only if he was paying his uncle... and they would have to prove it... but their family so I can imagine any issue.
You can do all the guiding and transporting you want in any state as long as its free.

No laws against hunting with friends and family.

Exactly - IF the uncle is hunting, there is no problem. However if the uncle is simply providing transportation and the hunters offer to pay for fuel, then the uncle is transporting and subject to another set of rules and regulations. The term "payment" is open to interpretations.
A few years ago, a resident of Unit 13 moved a moose (via his 4 wheeler) that some hunters had shot a few miles off road. The hunters tipped the resident a few dollars for his help. Some time later, the resident was cited by troopers for "transporting with out the proper licensing". I think the resident was finally vindicated, but I also think the lawyers made out better than the resident.
Laws are (basically) drafted by lawyers to be vague - open to various interpretations by different people (LEO's, judges and other lawyers), all to the ultimate benefit of; guess who(?) - other lawyers. IMO, IF the uncle doesn't hunt while providing services to his sister and nephew and he accepts NO MONEY for his services, but allows his relatives to buy him dinner after the hunt, a trooper could make a case for transporting without the proper licenses. If he hunts, then no problem as long as expenses are split evenly amongst the three.

He will be hunting but I think that’s kind of “chickensh*t” that I can’t pay for the mans gas being he’s putting the hours in on his boat
But rules r rules n don’t want any of us to get into a sling!

He will be hunting but I think that’s kind of “chickensh*t” that I can’t pay for the mans gas being he’s putting the hours in on his boat
But rules r rules n don’t want any of us to get into a sling!
No offense to Gary but I’ve never heard of any family members ticket for illegal guiding or transport. If you paid for his gas, took him out to dinner, and bought him a new rifle for xmas I can’t possibly imagine it being an issue. Because it’s family. Totally different ball game with a stranger.
For the record I’ve actually started threads about the dangers of illegal outfitting and packing, that is to say I am in now way cavalier with the rules.

Though I may have been overly cautious I would not take a chance with a relative's livelihood at stake.
The easy solution for the OP would be to contact a wildlife trooper, in the unit he is going to be hunting and ask questions. Be sure to get the trooper's name, also make note of the date the conversation took place.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back