Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Spotting Scope Thoughts

Yes, most of the top end brands sell them seperate so the user can choose what eyepiece they want. Check Camera Land NY and Eurooptic for deals on demo units from Kowa, Swarovski, meopta, etc. Last year Eurooptic had the last generation demo Swarovski 65mm bodies for like 1600 and the eyepiece for 400. It was a screaming deal, wish I could have snagged one.
Can someone explain the eye pieces? Why wouldn't you want tge wide angle? Don't you see more?

Can someone explain the eye pieces? Why wouldn't you want tge wide angle? Don't you see more?
I'm working from memory here so I might not be 100% accurate here but it gets you started. Your average scope comes with a zoom lense, let's say a 15-45 power. There is a lot of physics, geometry, voodoo, etc that goes into magnification instruments and it is impossible to optimize the image produced, field of view, eye relief, etc with a zoom piece. The highest and lowest powers are optimized the best they can but the rest are a compromise. Compare the specs of say a fixed 30x lense to that of a zoom lense, the field of view and the eye relief will be far better because the lense geometry is optimised for the fixed power. There are some very good comparisons between fixed and zoom scopes on the birding forums that will do it more justice than I can. I would love to have a zeiss, kowa, or Swarovski with a 30x fixed lense for general glassing and a zoom lense as a backup for specific situations.

I'm working from memory here so I might not be 100% accurate here but it gets you started. Your average scope comes with a zoom lense, let's say a 15-45 power. There is a lot of physics, geometry, voodoo, etc that goes into magnification instruments and it is impossible to optimize the image produced, field of view, eye relief, etc with a zoom piece. The highest and lowest powers are optimized the best they can but the rest are a compromise. Compare the specs of say a fixed 30x lense to that of a zoom lense, the field of view and the eye relief will be far better because the lense geometry is optimised for the fixed power. There are some very good comparisons between fixed and zoom scopes on the birding forums that will do it more justice than I can. I would love to have a zeiss, kowa, or Swarovski with a 30x fixed lense for general glassing and a zoom lense as a backup for specific situations.
So the only disadvantage is that you can’t zoom in closer. Or zoom out for a quicker scan.

the Leopold SX-5 with the current carbon fiber tripod rebate is something to consider

I
Even though you are hunting from your truck it would be nice to have a smaller lighter spotting scope for throwing in your daypack to use in the field also. I would get one that serves well on both ends. I really like my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. It has good glass and is rugged and light weight.

I was not impressed with my small Leupold except for the compact footprint. It fogged & I had to send it back for repair ( twice for the original problem to get fixed) but it didn’t do as well as my 10x42 Swarovski SLC’s for spotting game or nearly as well as a large Vortex Razor for targets - kind of the worst of both worlds. The next size up Leupold is a great tool. I bought a used 60mm Nikon fieldscope that fills both bills well for not much money. I’m thinking all of your choices will work spotting game to way out there.

Running the 25-50 wide angle on my swaro. Really like the field of view and can zoom in quite a bit as well when needed. Haven't used a fixed 30x but i don't think i would be willing to give up the higher magnification.

I

I was not impressed with my small Leupold except for the compact footprint. It fogged & I had to send it back for repair ( twice for the original problem to get fixed) but it didn’t do as well as my 10x42 Swarovski SLC’s for spotting game or nearly as well as a large Vortex Razor for targets - kind of the worst of both worlds. The next size up Leupold is a great tool. I bought a used 60mm Nikon fieldscope that fills both bills well for not much money. I’m thinking all of your choices will work spotting game to way out there.
Which spotter was it specifically? Was it one of the Gold Ring Leupolds or their other models?

I'm running a Vortex Viper 80mm for a long time now. Zero complaints. It's been on sheep, goat and pronghorn hunts. It'll be on my oryx hunt this fall. While I've packed it some, I generally leave it at the truck. You can find them occasionally for ~$1000.

Scheels right now has the Vortex Razor Gen 1 85mm for $999.99 with $100 gift card. Seems like quite a few guys like the Gen 1 better.

Back