Spotting Scope Help

fmnjr

My scope got misplaced, as in I think it got lifted. So now, I need to pick out another one. Since I wasn't really happy with the performance of the Vortex Diamondback I'm going to purchase something better in quality/value. Question is, what might be the best value for a $1,000 scope?

As I think about this a bit more, it's dawned on me that what I need is something that will enable me to see detailed resolution at the furthest distance I can afford. Maybe I need to consider something that might be a bit more expensive to get the quality I'm after.

My razor line of binos from them is very clear. I guess if your looking st the 85mm that’s well above 1k but the 65mm is around 1.1k but maybe you want more power than the 65? Besides everyone here will say vortex is shit anyways just get leupold :)

You should really check into meopta if you want an 80+mm. I got mine used for 1600. The s2. Alpha glass at a cheaper price.

People rave about the Kowa at that price point. If I was looking to get a newer spotting scope at that price point I would look their first. I have the Vortex Razor 65 and it is good, but not great. I got it used for $650, which you can still find used ones for a similar price. I would look else where. Just my opinion.

My razor line of binos from them is very clear. I guess if your looking st the 85mm that’s well above 1k but the 65mm is around 1.1k but maybe you want more power than the 65? Besides everyone here will say vortex is shit anyways just get leupold :)
I wouldn't buy a Leupold spotter. I wanted a Kowa. Ended up with a Vortex. Hence my dislike for the brand. The op really should look at a Kowa. mtmuley

Kowa and meopta would be my recommendations. I won't spend a grand on a spotting scope made in China (entire vortex line now). I personally look for glass made in Japan or Europe.

Found the scope I thought was misplaced in back of the folding seat of my newish pickup. Rolled under there after our last range outing and never thought to look there. Another dumb lesson learned. Still gonna get another scope though as I never did like it much. The resolution on it stinks, can't even clearly see bullet holes in targets at the range from 100 yards, let alone any other distances. Thanks for the ideas and recommendations guys, really appreciate it!

Even though they are generally considered budget, i really like my Celestron C70.
Celestron is best known for telescopes, and microscopes.
With their ability to make excellent telescopes they make good spotting scopes also.

Buy once, cry once. Save your money for a Zeiss, Swaro, or Leica and u will never buy another spotter. You will also take better care of it.

I'd have to agree with this. I have a Kowa 773 with the wide angle zoom lens. It has spoiled me rotten. Look in the rockslide classifieds, you might find a decent scope there used. If you don't need high magnification, the Kowa TSN 550 series has the same fluorite crystal glass as the 880 series but in a light package. Otherwise, a Zeiss or Leica used would be a score. Do some research on the internet so you get a flavor for how these things fall out in side-by-side tests. And yes, the vortex razor usually gets something like "best for the money". I have had a couple of cheaper and midrange scopes for personal and work, they're just dead weight most of the time, especially once you get past 40x... IMO

People rave about the Kowa at that price point. If I was looking to get a newer spotting scope at that price point I would look their first. I have the Vortex Razor 65 and it is good, but not great. I got it used for $650, which you can still find used ones for a similar price. I would look else where. Just my opinion.

For the record Kowa, Meopta, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, are the choices I'm going to winnow out. It would be really helpful if there were some shop here locally where once could try these out, but there doesn't appear to be one in Vegas. We'll be going through Norther Nevada, Idaho, MT, WY and CO, if anyone knows of a place in one of these states where the selection of spotters would allow me to try out some or all of these scopes let me know. My budget number is going up, no doubt, but as others observed "buy once, cry once".

Had the new Leupold Santiam set up against a Vortex Razor the other night at dusk. There is a clear winner with the Santaim in that race. Much much better color contrast and sharpness.

The Leupold Santium is top notch glass.
For the record Kowa, Meopta, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, are the choices I'm going to winnow out. It would be really helpful if there were some shop here locally where once could try these out, but there doesn't appear to be one in Vegas. We'll be going through Norther Nevada, Idaho, MT, WY and CO, if anyone knows of a place in one of these states where the selection of spotters would allow me to try out some or all of these scopes let me know. My budget number is going up, no doubt, but as others observed "buy once, cry once".
The Meopta Meopro was editors choice over all other in the $1500 range. The Santium was not in that comparison as it is new. I can price both the Leupold and Meotpa if anyone sends me a PM.

It’s hard to find a place that will have them all, the best I’ve ever seen is sportsman warehouse and cabelas. They usually will have Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica but no Kowa. Cabelas euro series is Meopta so that would be your best bet

Had the new Leupold Santiam set up against a Vortex Razor the other night at dusk. There is a clear winner with the Santaim in that race. Much much better color contrast and sharpness.
Was this the Sx-4 or Sx-5 Leupold spotter you were using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back