MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Spotter vs Big Eyes

Summitthunting

Do you use a spotter or high power binoculars? Sell me on which one you prefer. I'd be using them mostly in Colorado and Wyoming for elk, deer and antelope.

I use binos in 10X50 and then a spotter if I find something that needs a closer look.

I use 10x binos for most of my work, long spotting or long distance judging I will swap to a Spotting scope. Especially for Antelope! It certainly helps with Antelope to be able to get extra zoom, and light gathering often isn't an issue. I will only pack the spotting scope maybe 10-15% of the time I'm hunting elk, but I also don't feel undergunned with 10x binos in the rest of the area I hunt. If I need just a bit more, I will use the 15x setting on the Nightforce on my rifle. In open country a spotting scope can be invaluable for spotting at ranges longer than a mile.

I use binoculars and a spotting scope. I think in WY and CO that combination will serve you well. I like the ease of packing a spotting scope over the "big eyes". A lot of hunters down here in AZ use the 15X56 big eyes. Their style of hunting is driving to or making short hikes to high spots for glassing and sitting for hours, sometimes from dawn to dusk without making a move. If that's your style, then the big eyes are more comfortable for long periods behind the glass. Unless I'm looking for a particular animal known to be in an area, I have a hard time sitting longer than 3 hours in one spot. I'm not so sure that 15 power would be enough for me when I want to glass the stuff that's over a mile out.

10x42s for most work with a tripod mount then switch to the spotter for closer inspections. heat waves can make using the spotter a pain in the butt during early antelope seasons. Spotter was the best hunting investment I ever made and has saved me more miles of hiking than I can count.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back