Spotter Tripod

ewludwig

I recently purchased at slightly used Swaro STS 20x60x65. I am looking for recommendations on tripods that can be used both on backpack hunts and on hunts from the truck.

Not really sure if I need one long enough to glass standing up, which panning head is the smoothest and easiest to use, etc? Any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Perfect. Weight won't be an issue provided the midget can walk.

I love my Outdoorsmans for the same spotting scope, but in the ATS model. They make several different length tripods. I have the medium. Not cheap, but if you take care of it it should last longer than you.

I have the high country from vortex. So far I really like it. There are definitely more solid platforms out there, but at 2 lbs and the fact that my buddy gave it to me, I'll make it work.

I recently purchased at slightly used Swaro STS 20x60x65. I am looking for recommendations on tripods that can be used both on backpack hunts and on hunts from the truck.

Not really sure if I need one long enough to glass standing up, which panning head is the smoothest and easiest to use, etc? Any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd advise to get one that you can use standing. When the grass is high or you need to look over something, its invaluable to have the taller pod.

Take a look at the Promaster XC525C Carbon Fiber. It's a great tripod. Stands tall, 5 pieces so it packs small, lightweight, etc... You'll want to spend the money on a good head to go with it. I tried three different Manfrotto options before I finally ended up with an outdoorsmans pan head. Awesome combination.

Last edited:
Good feedback, thx

I should have also mentioned that you can get full size tripods that still collapse down to the length of the spotter or real close.

After having one that is full size and collapses small, i wouldn't want it any other way.

Take a look at the Promaster XC525C Carbon Fiber. It's a great tripod. Stands tall, 5 pieces so it packs small, lightweight, etc... You'll want to spend the money on a good head to go with it. I tried three different Manfrotto options before I finally ended up with an outdoorsmans pan head. Awesome combination.

Very helpful, thanks. I was wondering how much $$$ is enough? Since I don't have a ton of experience with spotter, I'm not sure what you can get by with given you are already have a ton of $$$ into the scope itself. Spending less would be preferable unless it takes away from spotter performance that you already invested so much in.

Just bring a midget and put it on her head :D When she's not a tripod she can wear a nacho sombrero while you're going through the woods :eek:

Perfect. Weight won't be an issue provided the midget can walk.

They have a hard time crossing those fast flowing spring creeks though, plus you have to feed them.

OMG this had me rolling...I needed a good laugh today.

I plan on using a Manfrotto myself for this.

Back