Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spots got in the way.

Whiskers

Today started the first day of Archery in some sections of New Jersey. The first deer you kill has to be antlerless. Then you can kill a buck.
I had 7 deer walk past me this morning, all of them either had spots on them or had fawns with them. I don't shoot deer with spots or deer with Fawns with them. Any one have any comment on this. Do you kill fawns, or doe with fawns.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-06-2003 18:07: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</font>

If I'm hunting in an area with an over-abundance of deer or just want the meat...yes. Actually, if the area was overpopulated I'd look for a doe with fawns and shoot her. Her fawns would then be less likely to make it through the winter, especially if there is much in the way of predation. However, in IN (where I'm from) the winters are usually mild enough and predators few enough that the fawns usually make it.

I would shoot a fawn, but not if it still had spots. I'd get shot for bringing something like that home!

1 Pointer. If they don't have spots in my book they are not fawns, they are yearlings. LOL. They are fair game. We have mild winters, and our only real predators for deer are Buicks. I too would get shot for bringing one home with spots, or a doe that has obviously been milking a fawn. My wife knows me, and my techniques well enough if she saw me bring home something with the whole bottom cut out that somethings up. This time of year, that country girl will put 1 and 1 together and come up with 2. When that happens ol Whiskers gets one upside the head.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-07-2003 18:40: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</font>

Kudo's to your choice Whiskers.

No I dont shoot em if they have spots (unless I have a can of brown spray paint with me
tongue.gif
)

What 1_p said. Kill 'em if you got 'em!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>if she saw me bring home something with the whole bottom cut out that somethings up<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...sounds like somebody else I know. Whiskers, just tell her you shot her at 10 yards with a .300 WSM zeroed at 400 yards. I can honestly say that I've witnessed the results of just such a thing.
eek.gif
shhh.gif
wink.gif

I'm in the same boat as you, seeing spots
eek.gif
... Our season opens on monday.

My wife could care less what I shoot, She understands that its just a deer and they have to be controlled. Doe or fawn they are the same to her, but deep down inside she knows the fawns eat better
smile.gif

What I do, if I can tell, I shoot all does and doe fawns. Most of the time you can tell if the fawn is a buck or not by little brown spots on his head. I will let them walk, so my neibors have something to kill next year.
frown.gif

One nice thing about shooting deer here in MD, is I don't have be prejedice since we don't have a limit on does in my area, and the fact that they kill a third of the deer off every year and they are still muliplying...

I say shoot em if you got em. There's nothing like eating an entire quarter of a deer for one meal
drool.gif

Ivan

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back