Caribou Gear Tarp

Spot and stalk black bear, when baiting is legal - how to avoid bait stations (Wyoming)

Topoman

Hello everyone. I've been loving this site for a long time, but have only recently started to post and contribute like a decent human being. I have a question that I am hoping others can shed some light on.

In the past, I've hunted bear in Montana and Oregon. In both states, I never had to factor bait stations into my spot and stalk plans. This spring I'll be hunting black bear in Wyoming, where baiting is legal. I don't have an issue with baiting, but would rather spot and stalk away from bait stations for both mine and the other guys' sakes. I want to call the regional WGFD biologist and see if he can point me away from bait stations in my hunting area, though I'm unsure if he's really at liberty to share that kind of information with me. Does anyone know if bait station information is public, or is just a "Get out there and figure it out" sort of thing? I've recently moved from Wyoming to southern Colorado, so preseason scouting in person won't be happening this year....and don't get me started on the spring bear ban here.

My other option is to just get inside the Grizzly Population Recovery Area, where baiting is legal, and spot and stalk in there....but the place I know really well and want to hunt is a legal baiting area.

Any advice or experiential knowledge would be helpful. Once I talk to WGFD I'll toss up what they said.

Honestly I’m not sure if it will even be an issue, I would assume anyone baiting is using a vehicle so if you are getting off the roads you should be fine.

I hunted Idaho and never ran into a bait station for what it’s worth.

Bait sites have to be registered on public land so G&F should have the info where they are, or maybe the FS or BLM.

Yep, I'm just curious if they'd share that information, or if it stays within the agency.... wllm1313, thanks for the insight. I want to hump in a few miles anyways, so hopefully it'll work out. Thanks!

I personally have run into bait sites a couple miles up trails. People horse and snowmobile baits in too, not just ATV/UTV/Pickup. Above average # of creek crossings, deadfall, and general gnar will work in your favor. I wouldn't let it deter you, just know it's possible to bump into dudes and barrels a ways back in.
As far as bait location info, I'd call the warden and see what he's able and willing to share.

What’s the rule on shooting a bear at someone else’s site, ie you are hiking and see a bear, put on a stalk, make a good shot, and then when you walk up see a barrel 20 yards off?

I assume it’s fine given that it’s public land... but it was on a bait you didn’t register...

What’s the rule on shooting a bear at someone else’s site, ie you are hiking and see a bear, put on a stalk, make a good shot, and then when you walk up see a barrel 20 yards off?

I assume it’s fine given that it’s public land... but it was on a bait you didn’t register...

It would be legal to shoot a bear in that situation. The people placing the baits have the permit to place a bait, but not keep other hunters out of the area.

Now, having said that, it takes a lot of time and effort to bait bears, so a lot of bear hunters (probably most of them) would consider it unethical to hunt near someone's bear bait station. But, if you truly don't know where the bait station is located and stumble upon a bear that happens to be close to the bait, then no problem.

ClearCreek

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back