Caribou Gear

Speer hot-cor

Andrewlonghi

Hey guys I'm thinking about trying some 145gr Speer hot-cor with stalball 6.5 powder in my 7mm-08. Seen some really good data on the stalball powder and hopefully it works with my gun. But has anyone shot Speer hot-cor bullets and have you had good luck with them.?

I fired them in a 7mm mag years ago. Only bullet I have ever chosen over a Hornady spire point. Shot both into bunded newspaper from that 7mm mag. the Hornady 154 and the Speer 160. Hornady retained 85% of its weight, mushroomed very well but the core and the jacket were so loose I could hold the jacket and turn the core. The Speer also mushroomed perfecrly, the core and jsacket remained tight and it retained 85% of it's weight. I used that hot core in tha 7mm maag because it had a small group advantage, seems it shot 5/8" groups! Long time ago. the Hornady shot 3/4" groups and also had a small advantage in my other rifle's. I'm recently back to the hot core bullet in my 6.5x55 and my 6.5x06, using the 140 in both of them. I think it is really under appreciated and probably as good as any bonded bullet on the market for about half the price.

I have tried a few loads with them in 7mm-08. My last rifle just couldn't seem to shoot them well. I haven't tried with my newer rifle, but it's tempting to use them for practice because they're so cheap and they seem to always be in stock.

I have tried a few loads with them in 7mm-08. My last rifle just couldn't seem to shoot them well. I haven't tried with my newer rifle, but it's tempting to use them for practice because they're so cheap and they seem to always be in stock.

Yeah I seen that one supplier I ordered from had plenty in stock. I got a 1 and 8 twist in my barrel so I think it will shoot them with a good Powder charge. I shoot 70gr Speer sp in my 223 and have shot several deer with good results

A friend of mine says that's all he shoots and hunts with. I've seen his groups, not bad, but he is also kind of an oddball.

I happened to see this other thread about Hot Cor's in case it's helpful:

Also, here's some data I pulled off the Speer website several years ago.
4F656151-B213-48E7-8E62-495F43E79A44.jpeg

Ive used Speer for around 45 years I have loaded the hot cors but prefer the BTSP shoot the 145 grain in the 7mm-08
and the 180 in 30-06 taken many animals. In the 7mm-08 I use H 4350.

I loaded up some Staball 6.5 and 150 corelokts in my 7-08 and it was pretty accurate. Speer hot core is a good bonded hunting bullet.

I got a box of Speer hot-cors on the way,145gr flat base. Trying to find some staball 6.5 powder now

I took a doe with the 130gr Hot Cor out of my 7mm Rem Mag the other year.
Did a fair bit of damage, didn't find the bullet.

I will say, that load will pass through an AR500 plate up to 200 meters if it's not free to swing. :oops:

The ones I've used are harder than other cup and core bullets I have used of the same size and weight. Performance has been consistent. I would call Speer and ask if that particular bullet is supposed to do what you will use it for.

Shot many Hotcors, very good bullets. The BTSP's are a bit softer but still good bullets. I am running the 145 BTSP in my 7-08 powered by H414. Great load for deer and hogs, quick killer.

Shot many Hotcors, very good bullets. The BTSP's are a bit softer but still good bullets. I am running the 145 BTSP in my 7-08 powered by H414. Great load for deer and hogs, quick killer.
Not sure so correct me. The BTSP's aren't Hot Cores are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back