Caribou Gear Tarp

Spearfishing gear

maconbacon

Looking to get my own basic spearfishing gear, mainly just fins and mask at the moment. Anyone have any recs for a good starter pair of freediving/spearing fins and mask?

Mako is probably your best bet for basic stuff that works. I use their Minimus mask and snorkel. I like my fiberglass fins from Neptonics - I've never used plastic fins so I can't comment on how much of an improvement the fiberglass fins are...

A mask that fits will be key. Don't just order online. You will need to try it on. An uncomfortable mask will make you miserable. Opaque silicone will help you see better underwater. Clear or translucent silicone can also cause ghost images on your mask lens. A dry snorkel is nice too. With or without a purge valve is up to you. Purge valves help clear water easier but can leak. No valve won't leak but is harder to clear for the beginner. Fins are also something that needs to fit. You will need to try them on. A full foot fin that fits is more comfortable than a heel strap fin. As far as material and length are concerned will depend on the type of diving you will be doing. I still use a pair of beat up plastic esclepez long free diving fins for most of my reef hunting. And read a couple books too. Blue Water Hunting by Terry Maas and The Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles are great books for information and inspiration.

So far good responses. Let me add that you always want to have a knife on your body. So find a decent knife with a sheath that will secure it in all positions. Something like this one.
https://www.spearamerica.com/products/riffe-stubby-knife-standard

It is important in my opinion that it has a serrated edge on one side. It doesn't need to be one of those "cool" heavy scuba knives that they like to show in the movies. Just something reliable that you can always reach and depend on in case you get tangled in some discarded fishing line or worse your own shooting line.

I rarely use mine for anything other than dispatching fish, but I have relied on it in life threatening situation when a fish tried to drown me.

Have fun, and when you get comfortable in the water make a trip out to California for some incredible diving.

A mask that fits will be key. Don't just order online. You will need to try it on. An uncomfortable mask will make you miserable.
FWIW, Mako has a perfect fit guarantee on their Minimus mask. From their website:

Perfect fit Guarantee:
Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit:
I will refund the full price of the mask.
I will refund the shipping cost of the mask.
AND YOU KEEP THE MASK!
All I ask is that you:
Give me a call to help me learn about your sizing.
Promise to give the mask someone who loves and respects the ocean as much as you do.

I'm no Mako fanboy and use gear from them, Neptonics, Salvimar, Cressi, etc. I doubt the OP has a ton of freediving shops in Kansas to try on gear so online might be his only/ best option.

Have fun, and when you get comfortable in the water make a trip out to California for some incredible diving.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm headed your way for a 3-day liveaboard trip in June - can't wait!

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm headed your way for a 3-day liveaboard trip in June - can't wait!
Nice! The Horizon out of San Diego? Could be a great time to be in the water with YT, WSB and Bluefin all in the mix. Good luck.

Nice! The Horizon out of San Diego? Could be a great time to be in the water with YT, WSB and Bluefin all in the mix. Good luck.
No, I'll be on the Peace out of Ventura headed to the outer Channel Islands. I'll have to look into the Horizon though - thanks!

Thanks guys! Think I’m going to give the mako minimus a whirl. You’re right, not much in the way of shops around here, plus not to thrilled to put my face in a mask that someone else might’ve already amidst the pandemic.
Hvent decided on a brand yet, but thinking about fiberglass. Don’t want to go too cheap but also don’t want to break the bank before I really know what I’ll like to use.
I’m going to Hawaii in about a month to hopefully test out some of this gear. Then this summer I’m moving to Houston and maybe can get on an oil rig dive or two in the future.
I don’t think I’m going to get a spear/gun yet, but anyone have thoughts on which route? Gun vs three prong?

There are so many good gun choices and so many bad guns too. Really depends on what you want to hunt and the environment. The only two environments I've heard so far are Hawaii and rig hunting. Rig hunting is basically open blue water hunting and probably big fish. Hawaii could be the same unless you planning on shore diving Hawaii. Regardless do not get a three prong. The fish you could run into at either of these locations deserve better than that. PM sent.

I wonder how many free dive spear fishermen get killed by sharks every year? I got a buddy who does it off the cost of CT. He told me he has had a lot of close encounters with white sharks....

Having personally been around the Mako's off of Huntington beach CA, I would never step foot in those waters.....they in return will stay off my lawn. lol

Very few at least off the Orange County Catalina Island area. The shark encounters are increasing (in particular the GWS encounters along with their numbers), but so far so good. Just a few messy wetsuits as a result.

I have had no encounters while in the water and I am happy to keep it that way.

There are so many good gun choices and so many bad guns too. Really depends on what you want to hunt and the environment. The only two environments I've heard so far are Hawaii and rig hunting. Rig hunting is basically open blue water hunting and probably big fish. Hawaii could be the same unless you planning on shore diving Hawaii. Regardless do not get a three prong. The fish you could run into at either of these locations deserve better than that. PM sent.
10-4. The thinking on the three prong is since they are simpler it would allow one to focus on the hunting and free diving aspects more without worrying about float lines, reels, etc. Would only be used on smaller reef fish which is the environment I have the most experience in. However, thanks for the tips, always open to advice since I’m so new and will definitely look harder at the speargun varieties moving forward.

Thanks guys! Think I’m going to give the mako minimus a whirl. You’re right, not much in the way of shops around here, plus not to thrilled to put my face in a mask that someone else might’ve already amidst the pandemic.
Hvent decided on a brand yet, but thinking about fiberglass. Don’t want to go too cheap but also don’t want to break the bank before I really know what I’ll like to use.
I’m going to Hawaii in about a month to hopefully test out some of this gear. Then this summer I’m moving to Houston and maybe can get on an oil rig dive or two in the future.
I don’t think I’m going to get a spear/gun yet, but anyone have thoughts on which route? Gun vs three prong?
Plastic fins will get the job done but you will notice a big difference in fiberglass and even more push from carbon fiber fins. If you can afford it and this is something you see yourself doing in the future then spring for the fiberglass fins.
As for a speargun, 3prong will collect dust after you used once or twice. Get yourself a decent pipe gun or wood gun. Rob Allen or Riffe won't break the bank and they work. I would recommend a 120cm size. Good for inshore and a little blue water. 145cm would be more useful for blue water hunting. Shoot me a DM if you have any other specific questions. I live in SoCal and dive a lot.

Back