Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Southern UT Muzzleloader

jbseamus83

I will post this in several posts to tell the story, as I have really enjoyed reading through others stories of hunts. My journey to this week actually started over a year ago. In 2021, I drew my first mule deer tag. It was a general season rifle tag for a southern UT unit. I went down in July to begin scouting the area. I found deer, but had no idea what the actual season would look like. SJ Deer Scouting 2021.JPGSJ Deer Scouting2.JPGSJ Deer Scouting 2021 3.JPGWhen opening day last year rolled around, I was in total and complete shock at the number of hunters. It was overwhelming and I didn't have quality back up plans to get onto deer. I hunted a number of days, but then ended up hurting my knee and effectively ending my hunt.

As application season began to roll around, I considered numerous options, but knew that I loved the area that I had drawn in 2021, but needed a way to hunt it more effectively. I began doing my research, pouring hours into all kinds of options that I had. I decided to apply for the same unit, but in the muzzleloader draw rather than general rifle. I had bought a muzzleloader a few months prior. I got the notification on May 31 that I had drawn the tag. Now, the planning would begin. I knew there would be fewer hunters for this season, but wanted to have back up plans to my back up plans. Scouting began over the summer.LaSalBucks1.jpgLaSalBuck2.jpgI felt much more comfortable with knowing where deer were, and how I could get away from other hunting pressure if needed. Now to the task of getting comfortable shooting the muzzleloader. I wasn't able to spend as much time shooting as I would have liked, but got to where I felt quite comfortable out to 150 yards.

September finally came around. I planned to leave the day before the opener, go get camp set up and be ready to go the first morning. I woke up on Tuesday to my wife and oldest son both being sick with a stomach virus. I just prayed that it would not hit me while I was hunting. Because of some issues at work and other circumstances, I ended up not arriving to where I was setting up camp until 9:30 that night. No time for scouting, but fortunately, there only seemed to be one other camp set up in the general area, so I was crossing my fingers that pressure would be low.

Wednesday morning at 4:45 came quickly and I was up and making my way to my glassing point. I got there, made some coffee and oatmeal and began glassing at first light. I had 2 other hunters that drove up the road that was down the hill from me, and within 45 minutes heard 3 shots from the next draw over. Oh well, maybe it will push some deer my direction. After staying there for a couple hours, and seeing nothing, I decided to start moving. However, I quickly realized that the stomach virus might be hitting me too. I kept going, but by 11:00, I knew I needed to head back to my tent. I slept for about 3 hours that afternoon, and then decided I would just make my way to an easy glassing spot for the afternoon.
SJ Glassing 2.jpg

I really was not feeling very well, but would rather sit out in the shade than in my tent any longer, so that's what I did. Around 4:45, I saw a young buck working through some very thick scrub oak. The picture below is not the buck, but it's some other deer that were running with him in the scrub oak.Scrub oak deer.jpg I had good wind and it was not going to be too physically exerting, so I decided to make a play. I had already decided that with not knowing how sick I might get, not ever having shot a mule deer, and it being my first muzzleloader hunt, I would take any opportunity at a branch antlered deer that I had.
I made a move and was able to close the distance to only 40 yards.

I stayed on the deer for nearly half an hour moving between 40-60 yards. But, the buck never gave me a shot that I was comfortable with through the thick brush. I waited and could tell that the buck was working toward a more open area that would provide me a shot, though considerably longer. When the buck cleared the brush, he was at 116 yards. Certainly not out of range. I tried to get steady and made the shot. Unfortunately, I could tell when the smoke cleared that it was a bad hit. The buck raised his back end and held up his rear leg. I could see blood coming from his paunch area. I tried to reload as quickly as possible. I knew he was a dead deer walking, but I didn't know how long he would be walking and how far he might end up going. I got a follow up shot at under 50 yards and put him down. And just like that my buck tag was filled. He's not a big gnarly headed deer, but he's my first. It was exciting and I am happy. I wish I had been better and made a good shot initially, but luckily it worked out and. I didn't lose him. Now on to scouting for my son's deer tag in October!2022 SJ deer.jpg2022 SJ Deer2.jpg

Congratulations on your first mulely. Yup the general deer and elk hunts in UT Is a pumpkin patch anymore. Whole lot more people than the 70's and 80's It sure would be nice just to walk in the grocery store and buy a deer tag the day before hunting season. But on the bright side I've still got my health and live in a country too be able to hunt. Hope you and your family recoved from the illness.

I will post this in several posts to tell the story, as I have really enjoyed reading through others stories of hunts. My journey to this week actually started over a year ago. In 2021, I drew my first mule deer tag. It was a general season rifle tag for a southern UT unit. I went down in July to begin scouting the area. I found deer, but had no idea what the actual season would look like. View attachment 242153View attachment 242154View attachment 242155When opening day last year rolled around, I was in total and complete shock at the number of hunters. It was overwhelming and I didn't have quality back up plans to get onto deer. I hunted a number of days, but then ended up hurting my knee and effectively ending my hunt.
Old trapper, best jerky there is

Congratulations on putting together a plan, executing it, and getting your first buck! Awesome.

Back