MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Southern Idaho Advice/Knowledge

TheTone

Alright guys I've got the oppurtunity to move to a few places in Southern Idaho for work that I know little about and I'm sure some here do. Wondering about the availabilty of good hunting that is close, public land in the areas, fishing, etc. I'll take all the good things about each area and I'd like to hear any bad as well. They are: St. Anthony, Buhl, Arco, and Island Park thanks guys.

I know Arco is dead and Island park is es'pensive. As far as Fishing and hunting all those places have it.

What are you looking to do ?

I've already got the job, I'll PM you what it is.

By Arco being dead do you me there is just little to do there or the town is drying up?

Both..... They passed a Bond to build a School there a couple years ago and they Have no one to put in it. My Partners dad lives over there. I hear alot of the Gossip that travels from there. Maybe someone like you could revive it ?!?!?! ;)

Depends on what you are looking for. What type of hunting do you enjoy? How important is fishing? What other things are important? I've lived in Idaho Falls for the past 18 years, I am very familiar with the areas you are thinking about. Send me a pm if you have any specific questions.

Hunting wise elk and mule deer (I'll archery and rifle hunt for them) are definitely top priority, if upland birds and turkeys are available reasonably close thats also a good thing. Fishing is pretty important, fish species however aren't a big deal. If its a fish I'm happy trying to catch it. The more public land nearby the better as well. Jobs not a big deal as thats the reason for the move.

Of those 4 places, Buhl is the only one that is considered "southern idaho". IP & SANO are east Idaho. Where the hell is Arco? j/k.

IP is expensive and a long ways from Walmart. Great fishing, lots of winter recreation, o.k deer hunting, lots of elk but draw only for big bulls.

Saint Anthony, is in a booming area due to out of state land buyers. Closer to walmart, probably even better fishing, close to good deer and elk hunting, getting into some bird hunting. Turkey & whitetails in the area. Still somewhat expensive.

Arco, the cheapest place to live by far. Good fishing, elk hunting, lots of different areas to hunt. Arco is not the prettiest place to live, although it is close to some nice areas. Some bird hunting.

Buhl, lots of dairies.

Don't know much about any of your choices... I do know that if you like "winter" you'll love Island Park. :D Lots of fishing and lots of hunting around there, and MT is only a hop and a skip, and there is all kinds of great hunting there.

Good luck on your move.

LOL Tone. I'm guessing Arco is a BYOW town. Island Park is probably in the same boat. But then again it's only a couple hour drive for some good "bobcat" hunting!

I would strongly suggest St. Anthony out of the towns you mentioned. It's a neat little town. Within an hours drive you have some of the best fishing anywhere, some of the best elk hunting in the state and some of the best trophy mule deer country around. There are a fair number of turkeys around that area as well. As far as upland you've got pheasant (not a whole lot) huns, sage grouse, sharptail, blue grouse, and the first week of dove would be good around there. Being single myself, I cannot recommend Island Park or Arco, not much experience with Buhl. If you decide on anywhere around Idaho Falls, I'd gladly show you around.

Well Arco it is. Decision was somewhat out of my hands. No real idea at this point when I'll be down there for good. Hope there are some elk and mule deer that feel like being sacrificed in the next few years.

Arco area holds many fond memories in my noggin. Just up the road past Moore there is Antelope creek drainage. Pulled many elk and deer out of there as a youth.

Okay I lied, I guess I'm going to St. Anthony now. I haven't even started the job yet and they are already moving me around.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back