Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Southern Colorado elk, Trinidad area

skeeter89

I'm heading to Trinidad sept. 13 to 25. Was wondering which area would be the best to hunt elk, 85-851 or140. I'm not trying to take anyone's hotspot, just find where to start. I may be able to stay at a friends cabin north of Weston, if not i'm looking for a campground or some place to pitch a tent. Is public land worth hunting or should i try finding private ground to hunt. I don't want to kill the 1st legal bull i see, i want to hold out for something decent. If i don't shoot one i'll still be happy to just see one. Thanks Jim.

What Wyo saiid. If you would be happy just to see them, then by all means shoot the first legal one you can. Any elk with a bow is a decent one, and then some. Kill the first legal elk, bull or cow, and you will have beat out 80% of the people in the woods... Get one under your belt and then you will be in an informed position to predetermine what your criteria for the next shot should be. Choose elk stew over tag soup for your first go round.

Wyo ans Khunter are offering very good advice.

Yep. I passed on a raghorn bull my first good opportunity & I am now 40+ and 0 for elk in 4 tries. If I don't draw a tag in AZ, I'm likely headed to CO for OTC. Until I get the first one (and maybe thereafter) I'll shoot first and question myself later, rather than the other way around.

Elk are tasty.

Good luck!

The south west part of Unit 85 has some national forest that's huntable. 140 is mostly private land and prairie area. 851 has Bosque Del Oso state wildlife area that has some wierd regulations of their own and a draw that you can't use OTC tags with. My honest opinion is you're better off going a bit further north into unit 86 near Westcliff and getting up into the San Isabel national Forest.

And don't pass up the first legal elk you see...you may regret it...lol I passed up a cow on the second day last year in a new area that was well within my bow range, and she ended up being the ONLY legal elk I saw for the season besides the calf that was with her.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back