South Dakota Hunters

Just depends on the area. I'm on private land and we have plenty and depending on the rancher they say the same thing. I know it's not like it was several years ago in most of the county and a lot of people are saying the same thing. Definitely areas they have not returned to. 9/10 people that hunted with me this year had shots on antelope bucks. Don't really know where they came from but this year that just kept increasing in numbers steadily throughout the summer on my place. Must be migrating back from somewhere.

Dakota, since you are pretty familiar with that part of the state, I was wondering what advice you would have for next years antelope season. I just bought a point this year, so I should draw this summer.

I have been looking into Harding, Perkins and Fall River. It would be public land, which has drawn me to those counties.

I am not an SD hunter, but my daughter attends USD.

I was on a run south of town and there was some public land (I spotted 9 deer that morning). But that would have been late Aug when we moved her in. I am sure that ground has been hammered.

Thanks for checking in.

You would be correct about pressure on that public. It is some of the only public around Verm so come October the parking lots and ditches fill up with pickups covered in Bone Collector stickers. I go out there in September and do some target shooting, the deer activity is pretty steady then.

Dakota, since you are pretty familiar with that part of the state, I was wondering what advice you would have for next years antelope season. I just bought a point this year, so I should draw this summer.

I have been looking into Harding, Perkins and Fall River. It would be public land, which has drawn me to those counties.

draw a triangle from Buffalo to Belle Fourche over to Newell and back to Buffalo. Try to make a trip to see where they are next to the road and then get way away from the road.;

Sent you a PM Boof,... no sense boring the Huntn crowd with silly walleye chatter :)

I"m butting in here,since I hail from Montana.However I hunt turkeys every spring in the Northwest corner.....pretty phenomenal.I have killed birds every year for ten years up until this year.I tried hunting late in the season and the ticks drove me out.They were unreal, 100 yds. of brush/ 20-25 ticks.It ruined my hunt.Is this common for late in turkey season? Guess I'll go back to nasty early spring storms,snow/mud.:)

I"m butting in here,since I hail from Montana.However I hunt turkeys every spring in the Northwest corner.....pretty phenomenal.I have killed birds every year for ten years up until this year.I tried hunting late in the season and the ticks drove me out.They were unreal, 100 yds. of brush/ 20-25 ticks.It ruined my hunt.Is this common for late in turkey season? Guess I'll go back to nasty early spring storms,snow/mud.:)

I would say it is just an unusual year as I have never dealt with ticks late into fall. I was just talking to someone from Iowa the other day who said that they were out on one of the 60 degree days in early December this year and had a couple of ticks on him.

I live around the Keystone area and love the hunting around here. Still learning how to hunt in timber country. Can't wait for cat season to get going. If you ever in the area look me up.

Jim

We always have the best luck that beginning of May. Never had a problem with the ticks so much that time of year so that I don't just been an unusual year that you got into. Pretty good turkey hunting around here that is for sure.

I live around the Keystone area and love the hunting around here. Still learning how to hunt in timber country. Can't wait for cat season to get going. If you ever in the area look me up.

Jim

I just started buying points for a Black Hills deer tag. That is a hunt I am really looking forward to for when I decide to cash the points in.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back