South Dakota for nonresidents ????

300stw

trying to get a plan to take my parents to south Dakota for pheasant season for a few weeks,,, SO,

made couple calls today to fish and game dept, asking about public land hunting and a paper copy of the public hunting atlas,,

guy on phone repeatedly told me non residents can not hunt on public land for pheasant's, have to hunt on private game farms,,,, after I got off the ground from passing out, I asked again, same answer,
so I have read thousands of stories of non res hunting public land, road ditches ect in SD, so , bad info from fish and game employee or?

also, you have to choose 2, 7 day, hunt periods to hunt, can I hunt 30 days, do I keep buying licenses, have a conservation officers number to call for area around buffalo to lemmon, no return calls yet,,,,

all help appreciated, from a diy public land guy I cant believe for a minute non residents cant hunt public land,,,,

trying to get a plan to take my parents to south Dakota for pheasant season for a few weeks,,, SO,

made couple calls today to fish and game dept, asking about public land hunting and a paper copy of the public hunting atlas,,

guy on phone repeatedly told me non residents can not hunt on public land for pheasant's, have to hunt on private game farms,,,, after I got off the ground from passing out, I asked again, same answer,
so I have read thousands of stories of non res hunting public land, road ditches ect in SD, so , bad info from fish and game employee or?

also, you have to choose 2, 7 day, hunt periods to hunt, can I hunt 30 days, do I keep buying licenses, have a conservation officers number to call for area around buffalo to lemmon, no return calls yet,,,,

all help appreciated, from a diy public land guy I cant believe for a minute non residents cant hunt public land,,,,
I'll do my best to help:

If you didn't get a paper atlas, let me know I will just mail one over to you.

Guy on the phone appears to be wrong, but also right... So if you are going with a guide, you CANNOT hunt public land, but if you are just going without a guide I am unaware of anything preventing you from hunting public land. Again, guided no, without guide yes.

You can hunt all season long, you just have to keep buying licenses once they expire, no limit on the total number

this makes sense, they couldn't fine me a paper copy yet,, I have a sd chip for gps, but the parents are computer/gps intolerant????

The non resident small games licenses are for 10 days or they can be broken into two periods of five days.

Edited to add that once your first license expires you can buy another one.

Last edited:
I did not read all of that fine print but I believe I remember something about non residents can not hunt public land for like the first week of the season, that is reserved for residents, or something like that. I may be wrong but maybe ask about such laws about when the residents can hunt vs. the nonresidents.

SD pulled the same BS with their archery deer tags this year.

I did not read all of that fine print but I believe I remember something about non residents can not hunt public land for like the first week of the season, that is reserved for residents, or something like that. I may be wrong but maybe ask about such laws about when the residents can hunt vs. the nonresidents.

SD pulled the same BS with their archery deer tags this year.
The Resident pheasant opener (long weekend) is the week before the general opener (and there is a youth only hunt the weekend before the resident opener).

Land ownership/management status is not applicable. The only difference in the normal (traditional) season is that, from 10/19-10/25, legal shooting hours don't start until noon. For the rest of the season, it's 10:00.

We'll be up @ our buddies ranch 11/14 for our annual adventure. Bird numbers were good this spring.

1568755172065.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back