Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

South Dakota Archery Mule Deer Hunt Help

bpaulh1985

Im from MN and I am looking to hunt Mule Deer in SD in mid October this year. I have been doing as much research as possible from here and was wondering if someone could help me out. I am very willing to pack in a ways to find areas with lower hunting pressure. Also, I am not looking to kill a giant and would be very satisfied with seeing a decent amount of deer and taking either sex. I have heard good things about the Custer NF areas in the NW part of the state and most of my research has led me to those areas. Help from anyone with experienced would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Brain

Bow hunted the Custer in 2008,seen quite a few deer and had multiple stalk opportunity every day. Seen a few other hunters but never had any problem finding places to hunt.

I have been thinking about the same thing. Sounds like a fun hunt. I have drove through the Custer NF several times and its neat country! I wish I could offer you some help but Ive never hunted it.

We are from Wisconsin, and we've hunted the Custer NF. Check out the "Dead Horse Flats" area. We usually hunt the edges of the burn areas.

In 5 years we've gotten 3 does and 3 bucks between 4 guys.

Good luck.

The Hills have more whitetail than muleys, but they have some dandies! I've never actually hunted it, but I know some guys who have.

We hunted Fort Pierre Nat'l Grasslands a few years back and saw some decent bucks, of both species, but it was hard to decipher logistically.
Another place that intrigues me is Buffalo Gap Nat'l Grasslands. Looks much more like muley country.

I live up in the Northwest corner of the state. If you need any help give me a shout.

I hunt that area of SD, just got back from a speed goat hunt and going back for deer in a month. There's mule and white tail and your tag is good for one or the other. Plenty of walk in, school lands to hunt. Custer NF is beautiful, rough country. You also need an access permit. If you have a GPS you can download all the public land off of South Dakota Game and Fish website for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back