sous Vide Water buffalo

Stay Sharp

For our company employees I regularly prepare wild game, Im bringing water buffalo roast beef to make sandwiches. Time to fire up the Souse Vide machine and turn this beast into roast beef.

D2yWRof.jpg

I pulled 3 roasts from the freezer and gave them a few days to thaw.

RFMTliD.jpg

Then seasoned them with a steakhouse seasoning.

2caOkVS.jpg

They get vacuum sealed again before hitting the water bath.

BcZlhGV.jpg

They will enjoy 9 hours under water at 135F

AAl6Tag.jpg

YhnrU9d.jpg

After 9 hours the roasts are finished and not one degree over 135F (rare)

SU6alv5.jpg

I use my Searzall torch to give the outside of the roast a crisp crust.

p503IAg.jpg

EGoN81H.jpg

Then I run the roasts through my slicer.

AzbECGZ.jpg

Now it sits until our potluck lunch. It will be reheated in a crock pot with french onion soup and beef broth and served on rolls with horseradish.

KgaNlfg.jpg

For strictly quality purposes, a sample must be tested.

Toast and a slice of baby swiss.

HZIbTEi.jpg

A little au ju for dipping

rJrE43x.jpg

These water buffalo eat pretty well.

Last edited:
I regularly do roast elk sandwiches, I need to step up my game and get a slicer though.

Nice work

I always look at meat slicers as one piece of meat processing equipment that I will never use. Now this gives me ideas.

That looks and sounds delicious. I just ordered a sous vide and am going to give it a try with an oryx roast I have in the freezer. Can it be cooked in a regular plastic bag. I don’t have a vacuum sealer yet.

That looks really good, I have to ask though where did the buffalo come from? I look at Africa hunts and they seem cool but I always thought I couldn't get the meat home ?

That looks really good, I have to ask though where did the buffalo come from? I look at Africa hunts and they seem cool but I always thought I couldn't get the meat home ?
This is a pet peeve of mine, water buffalo do not live in Africa! Haha. I have heard that there are water buffalo in Florida, but I have no idea where the OP killed his.

Water Buffalo originated in the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, and China. Today, it is also found in Europe, Australia, North America, South America and (only some) African countries. The wild water buffalo is native to Southeast Asia.

This particular water buffalo was taken with a bow by me as part of yet another bowhunting gear trial/evaluation I was conducting for my company and other bowhunting companies I design products for. (this has proven to upset some here)

This destination bowhunt and product testing took place in the hill country of Utopia Texas in Uvalde county and since the plan is to bring all the meat home (product test and the great meat are the goal), I made the 21 hour drive from my home in South East Wisconsin. In all, there was 6 of us in a few trucks pulling trailers loaded with coolers.

This particular ranch encompasses 20,000 acres (32 sq/miles so its akin to an African preserve hunt) and is home to many native and East Asian and African species. The ranch has an excess water Buffalo population that needs to be culled (another reason we went). We will be targeting Water Buffalo cows and other species . The ranch owner offered us a very attractive deal to help him reduce his water buffalo numbers and I was itching to do further testing and evaluation of some archery gear I designed and spent a year and a half developing and and to test my broadhead sharpener with yet another brand of broadhead. and because I did not have any other traveling hunts in my Calendar at this time of the year, I jumped at the chance. (all of this too has proven to upset some of the tender hearts here and why my sig line reads "in life you will encounter haters, laugh at them". (so I do)

Here is the object of this bowhunting product testing adventure.

fAifgKU.jpg

Fresh on the heels of my successful free range archery hunt for Vancouver bull and Polynesian pig in Hawaii, I geared up for this bowhunt with some new (to me) broadheads. The heads I bought earlier for this hunt that I planed to use on water buffalo suddenly seemed inadequate for the task so I while sitting in a hotel room on the big island of Hawaii, I placed the order for some 250 grain Cutthroat broadheads. Reading and viewing the pictures about archery tackle for water buffalo scared me straight so once again I would be using a total arrow weight of 700 grains. Also, Im doing further product testing on a drop away arrow rest that I spent a great deal of time developing. In fact, I was using the latest version of rest parts I made on my 3D printer. I also evaluated 2 bow mounted camera mounts Id designed so this opportunity came at a perfect time since there is normally little opportunity to kill stuff with a bow in March/April. (all this too seems to make some here upset)

The 250 grain, single bevel, Cutthroat heads.

BgY5qFh.jpg

I used the same dual walled aluminum arrows that will have a finished weight of 700 Grains. I want to make it clear that this is a cull hunt. (This too makes some emotional and animated causing them to lash out wildly and me to laugh at them) The ranch owner has an excess of Water Buffalo and he wants some removed. Normally his 3 day Water Buffalo Bull hunts (includes lodging and meals and use of the butcher shed and walk in cooler) costs $6000. Water Buffalo cow hunts with the same accommodations are $3000.

Because this ranch wants to reduce the population over the Easter weekend, we are specifically targeting cows and he has reduced the cost to $1650. That's not bad for some grass feed, free roaming, organic beef. It should also be noted that these are not tame water buffalo. They are free roaming the 20,000 acres but this is indeed a fenced hunt (although I dont think Water buffalo require a high fence) meaning some folks will be opposed right off the bat and get all animated and emotional (I laugh when they do that). I look at it as a way to fill the freezer with beef, test a new prototype arrow rest, test a new bow mounted camera mount and get out with my bow in march and get out of cold Wisconsin and head to the deep south for a few days.

My homemade water buffalo, Bow mounted decoy meant for ground level spot and stalk.

hvmxQQQ.jpg

Since Im not allowed to post videos linked to my company, here is a abbreviated video of this kill on my personal YouTube channel.

Last edited:
For my $1650, I killed a 2000 pounds water buff and a 318 lb. Eurasian boar with my bow and also got to test more bowhunting gear. Win Win. :)

No black Angus available and no domestic species either but I understand your pouting and confusion and why my sig line was written for guys like you. :D:LOL::D:LOL:

Water buff makes great table fair. But if you are content with store bought meat killed by others, rock on with your bad self.

If Im to test and evaluate new bowhunting products, I like to do it on a wide variety of species and in a wide variety of locations. It makes for an enjoyable life.

Last edited:
One would think a guy would test bow hunting products while bow hunting?

Naive. LOL. I understand your confusion. :LOL:bDeadlines, product releases, ATA show, other shows cause us to trial and test as much and as often as possible in a wide variety of locals and species. Its an interesting and enjoyable way to make a living. Its educational and the joy in=s in the doing. Waiting for a draw or a season to open does not fit the time lines.

Last edited:
Back