Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

sous Vide Water buffalo

For our company employees I regularly prepare wild game, Im bringing water buffalo roast beef to make sandwiches. Time to fire up the Souse Vide machine and turn this beast into roast beef.

D2yWRof.jpg

I pulled 3 roasts from the freezer and gave them a few days to thaw.

RFMTliD.jpg

Then seasoned them with a steakhouse seasoning.

2caOkVS.jpg

They get vacuum sealed again before hitting the water bath.

BcZlhGV.jpg

They will enjoy 9 hours under water at 135F

AAl6Tag.jpg

YhnrU9d.jpg

After 9 hours the roasts are finished and not one degree over 135F (rare)

SU6alv5.jpg

I use my Searzall torch to give the outside of the roast a crisp crust.

p503IAg.jpg

EGoN81H.jpg

Then I run the roasts through my slicer.

AzbECGZ.jpg

Now it sits until our potluck lunch. It will be reheated in a crock pot with french onion soup and beef broth and served on rolls with horseradish.

KgaNlfg.jpg

For strictly quality purposes, a sample must be tested.

Toast and a slice of baby swiss.

HZIbTEi.jpg

A little au ju for dipping

rJrE43x.jpg

These water buffalo eat pretty well.
Did I ever tell you that you are my newest Best Friend in the whole world! 🔥

You understand this to be what it is. Others here pout and whine and get all emotional and upset. Its funny as hell to watch these pugs whine. They are the reason for the sig line. They will be back. It will be funny. Stay tuned. :LOL:

You understand this to be what it is. Others here pout and whine and get all emotional and upset. Its funny as hell to watch these pugs whine. They are the reason for the sig line. They will be back. It will be funny. Stay tuned. :LOL:

Like clockwork. Hehe :LOL:

You dont need an actual machine dedicated to this style of cooking.

Im using a bottom round roast. It could be water buffalo or venison or elk, etc. When cleaned up it has almost no fat meaning this cut of meat will be very dry and tough if conventional cooking methods are used.

For flavor Im larding the roast with split cloves of garlic. You can lard a roast with frozen pieces of fat or bacon or onions or whatever you like. Without fat (fat equals flavor) these moisture and flavor additives will only enhance the flavor of the roast. Insert the tip of a knife to create a pocket and then slide your flavoring (in this case garlic) along side the blade while sliding the blade out of the roast.

oubQQJC.jpg

wwm0gTp.jpg

I rubbed the outside of the roast with a dry rub steak seasoning but salt and pepper would suffice and then vacuum sealed the roast and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.

XGwHJl1.jpg

This roast will cook in the water bath for 7 hours at 135F. To ensure that there is water contacting all surfaces of the roast, I placed a canning jar ring on the bottom of the crock.

L1RhN1r.jpg

Now the roast will spend the next 6 hours under water. This should produce a medium rare roast. Cooking Sous Vide means no matter how long I cook this roast (6 or 8 or 12 or 24 hours), It will never get hotter than the water bath but will only get more tender with time. Like slow smoked brisket, low temps and time are used to break down the collagen in the meat into gelatin.

plLmklO.jpg

About an hour before the roast was finished I prepared some Hassleback potatoes with onion slices in between the slices.Then brushed with meted butter and topped with parmesan cheese.

5kQ4kQx.jpg

Baked at 425 for 45 minutes.

I75KrFf.jpg

After 7 hours the roast is finished. Its not much to look at right out of the bag. Its lacking the sear that we are used to with meat.

Problem solved. Butane torch (not just for pastry chefs) or sear in a hot pan with butter.

Now the outer surface has the charred mahogany color which really does nothing but make the meat look nicer.

gS7sV2q.jpg

Time for the big reveal. Medium rare.

CoGFzwi.jpg

Add some glazed carrots to round out the plate and serve the meat on a bed of fried onions and mushrooms. The meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.

YGwEtfR.jpg

You dont need an actual machine dedicated to this style of cooking.

Im using a bottom round roast. It could be water buffalo or venison or elk, etc. When cleaned up it has almost no fat meaning this cut of meat will be very dry and tough if conventional cooking methods are used.

For flavor Im larding the roast with split cloves of garlic. You can lard a roast with frozen pieces of fat or bacon or onions or whatever you like. Without fat (fat equals flavor) these moisture and flavor additives will only enhance the flavor of the roast. Insert the tip of a knife to create a pocket and then slide your flavoring (in this case garlic) along side the blade while sliding the blade out of the roast.

oubQQJC.jpg

wwm0gTp.jpg

I rubbed the outside of the roast with a dry rub steak seasoning but salt and pepper would suffice and then vacuum sealed the roast and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.

XGwHJl1.jpg

This roast will cook in the water bath for 7 hours at 135F. To ensure that there is water contacting all surfaces of the roast, I placed a canning jar ring on the bottom of the crock.

L1RhN1r.jpg

Now the roast will spend the next 6 hours under water. This should produce a medium rare roast. Cooking Sous Vide means no matter how long I cook this roast (6 or 8 or 12 or 24 hours), It will never get hotter than the water bath but will only get more tender with time. Like slow smoked brisket, low temps and time are used to break down the collagen in the meat into gelatin.

plLmklO.jpg

About an hour before the roast was finished I prepared some Hassleback potatoes with onion slices in between the slices.Then brushed with meted butter and topped with parmesan cheese.

5kQ4kQx.jpg

Baked at 425 for 45 minutes.

I75KrFf.jpg

After 7 hours the roast is finished. Its not much to look at right out of the bag. Its lacking the sear that we are used to with meat.

Problem solved. Butane torch (not just for pastry chefs) or sear in a hot pan with butter.

Now the outer surface has the charred mahogany color which really does nothing but make the meat look nicer.

gS7sV2q.jpg

Time for the big reveal. Medium rare.

CoGFzwi.jpg

Add some glazed carrots to round out the plate and serve the meat on a bed of fried onions and mushrooms. The meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.

YGwEtfR.jpg
Yummy in my Tummy!Cool on the traveling knife in Hawaii! 🔥

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patchery24
Back