Sous Vide Elk

R

rwc101

Decided to buy a sous vide machine for a diy Euro mount attempt but had to test it out on some elk backstrap before I potentially got it all CWDed. I might have to keep it around for good. Done to 122 in the sous vide and seared on all sides until it reached 125.

20201027_181117.jpg

That looks great. I can’t seem to stop screwing up perfect shot opportunities on bulls this year, so I need to get a cow or two killed so I can do the same.

Looks fantastic! How long did you do it in the Sous vide for before searing it?

It was about an hour and a half. It might have reached 122 sooner, but I just let it go until I was pretty sure it was up to temp.

It was about an hour and a half. It might have reached 122 sooner, but I just let it go until I was pretty sure it was up to temp.
That’s how long I usually do mine for too. Anything over 2 hours and you risk turning it mushy. I usually do it at 115 and then sear until 120. My wife and I like wild game more on the rare side but also love a good crust. Sous Vide is my winter go to!

What are you using to sear? I currently get a cast iron griddle smoking hot on the grill but I feel like thats inefficient with needing to let the grill heat up.

I'm looking real hard at a searzall to provide all of the maillard-y goodness.

What are you using to sear? I currently get a cast iron griddle smoking hot on the grill but I feel like thats inefficient with needing to let the grill heat up.

Cast iron pan on the stove top.

I just do a cast iron on the stove with some avocado oil in it. Start searing it as soon as it starts to smoke and do it for a couple minutes each side. I’ve also heard of people taking a mini blow torch to it...would definitely cut down on the smoke!

Heck yeah. Doing some backstrap tonight. Anyone out there vac seal your own meat that you figure you will end up putting in the sous vide with the herbs when you put it all up initially? I was just thinking - need to cut open a bag to just vac seal it again for the sous vide... Seems like I could be prepping these chunks with herbs in the bags and then throwing them in the freezer out of the gates.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back