Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Son's elk rifle

.270 will be a great round for him. I shot a .243 when I first started out then started shooting a 7 mag at 13 and it never bothered me.

There has been an elk or two killed with a .270. Good buy there!

Last edited:
12 yr old kid shooting a 270? Must be a tuff kid!

I don't know. My kid didn't seem to be bothered by the recoil of anything. I bought him a .223 to start with. But, while shooting one day I had a pile of different guns with us. He shot my .280 and LOVED it. He's 14 now, and has been using a .30-06 M7600 he inherited from his grandpa. He likes it a lot. The only gun that really bothered him, recoil wise, was a Model 70 Compact in .308 Win.

12 yr old kid shooting a 270? Must be a tuff kid!

I started out at 12 shooting 12 gauge slugs out of a light pump shotgun. It all depends on the kid. I was a skinny little thing and it hurt like heck, but I wanted to hunt bad enough that I toughed it out and committed myself to shoot it well. Had I not wanted to hunt deer badly enough, I'd have walked away after the first time I pulled the trigger. I think a 270 with some light handloads is an adequate rifle for a young hunter that will do everything they want as they grow older.

Back