Son's 2021 buck

Outdooraddict

Hello HT'ers, just wanted to share my son's buck. We decided to hunt above my house as we were seeing a good amount of deer moving down the mountain. While there weren't as many people in the area as in the past, it was still pretty busy. As a father, I was a little disappointed with the treatment of our local wildlife. We watched a group, twice, shoot at a buck and never leave their 4wheelers to check if they hit it. People were parked on the road shooting 5-600 yards at deer heading down the mountain- where one could EASILY cut the distance in half and not be seen. Maybe I'm overly cautious or have unrealistic values in todays hunting world, but I want to teach my kid to spot game, stalk game, and make a high percentage shot. If, in the future, he practices enough and is super confident with long shots, it might be ok. But until he's on his own, it's my way. So I was super proud of him spotting a buck at 750 yards, checking the spotter to see if he liked it, cutting the distance to 170 yards, and harvesting his 3rd buck. Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.13.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.13.21 PM.png

Great job teaching him how it should be done. Creating memories that he can then pass on. Good job dad!

I have made a few long shots over the years ... but just a few. I value spot & stalk or tracking much more. That requires expertise of the hunter, not the equipment. You're teaching yor son right. That good looking boy is going to be a lady killer too so you better start teaching him the right way to spot and stalk a trophy in that deparment. ;)

Well done...doing it the way it should be done. Congratulations on a nice buck.

Hello HT'ers, just wanted to share my son's buck. We decided to hunt above my house as we were seeing a good amount of deer moving down the mountain. While there weren't as many people in the area as in the past, it was still pretty busy. As a father, I was a little disappointed with the treatment of our local wildlife. We watched a group, twice, shoot at a buck and never leave their 4wheelers to check if they hit it. People were parked on the road shooting 5-600 yards at deer heading down the mountain- where one could EASILY cut the distance in half and not be seen. Maybe I'm overly cautious or have unrealistic values in todays hunting world, but I want to teach my kid to spot game, stalk game, and make a high percentage shot. If, in the future, he practices enough and is super confident with long shots, it might be ok. But until he's on his own, it's my way. So I was super proud of him spotting a buck at 750 yards, checking the spotter to see if he liked it, cutting the distance to 170 yards, and harvesting his 3rd buck. View attachment 201342View attachment 201343
Congratulations on a nice buck

Sounds like you like to do things the right way and are passing that on to your son. We need more of that in my opinion. Good on you dad and congrats to you both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back