Somebody sent me a No. 1 **IT'S FINISHED!!**

I've got the butt stock fitted to the receiver after what felt an eternity of minutely sanding and scraping the inletting into place. I did a bit of rough sanding on it as well. The forend is next which should go fairly quickly. After that, it's time to fit the grip cap and recoil pad. And a TON more sanding.

20230214_204647.jpg

This Ruger is in for a makeover. New wood and a bit of barrel work. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the green laminate stocks that Ruger sent with it.

View attachment 260350

The replacement wood is from Treebone Carving, located here in Nevada. Super nice guy to deal with and he's a master at what he does.

View attachment 260351

Weight savings so far between the laminate and walnut is just over 11oz. I still have wood to remove and a grip cap to add so we'll see what the final number is.
Do they make mesquite stocks by any chance?

Do they make mesquite stocks by any chance?
Short answer is yes. There are few types used, honey being the most common. Screwbean is the most desirable and very expensive. Mesquite is a very dense heavy wood and not really fun to work. Sure is pretty though

Short answer is yes. There are few types used, honey being the most common. Screwbean is the most desirable and very expensive. Mesquite is a very dense heavy wood and not really fun to work. Sure is pretty though
I always hated working with mesquite, gave me a rash and got me all congested. Cedar does the same thing.

That's sure going to look nice. Too bad Ruger didn't go with the nutmeg laminate. Those are sharp looking stocks. I have TWO Ruger 1B's in 6mm Remington and 30-06. Sure like those number one's.

Thinking about having someone refinish the stock on my 6mm and touch up the checkering. Anyone here know of someone in Western Montana that I could trust this to??

David

That's sure going to look nice. Too bad Ruger didn't go with the nutmeg laminate. Those are sharp looking stocks. I have TWO Ruger 1B's in 6mm Remington and 30-06. Sure like those number one's.

Thinking about having someone refinish the stock on my 6mm and touch up the checkering. Anyone here know of someone in Western Montana that I could trust this to??

David
I think you should send it to @p_ham.

David
I know a guy in NV.

David
Send it to p_ham.

I sent him a rifle through the mail the other day. Easy peasy.

David
I have checkering tools I'll loan you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back