Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Some good old "fraud waste and abuse".....

SFC B

Another Vet (buddy from my last unit) posted this earlier.....30 to 60 MILLION pissed away for nothing more than socio-political grand standing. Sad but not unexpected. Bragg is Bragg, Lee is Lee, Benning is Benning ......forever.....period. Changing fort names and ignoring THEIR history is insulting AF!!

A much easier to access article with the basic info than a FB link is below. $62 million to remove or rename over 1,000 things honoring confederate generals etc.

No offense intended as apparently this is a meaningful issue to you...Not sure how changing the name of a base or pulling confederate iconography adds up to an 'insult' to anyone. Pretty sure the base, or a statue have no feelings on the matter. Does not bother me knowing there is a bunch of things named after long dead confederates and will lose no sleep if they all change names or get yanked. Fine either way.

Who do you mean by 'their history'? These are federal property, not personal property, so the harm to individuals is hard to see.

A much easier to access article with the basic info than a FB link is below. $62 million to remove or rename over 1,000 things honoring confederate generals etc.

No offense intended as apparently this is a meaningful issue to you...Not sure how changing the name of a base or pulling confederate iconography adds up to an 'insult' to anyone. Pretty sure the base, or a statue have no feelings on the matter. Does not bother me knowing there is a bunch of things named after long dead confederates and will lose no sleep if they all change names or get yanked. Fine either way.

Who do you mean by 'their history'? These are federal property, not personal property, so the harm to individuals is hard to see.
Most of these posts have long and storied histories with GENERATIONS of soldiers (For instance I served on 2 different posts my Grandfather trained on prior to serving in WWII in Europe and 2 more my cousin served on during his cold war and gulf war service). I spent very important portions of my life and career at 3 of these posts. These forts represent a huge portion of the force that has secured our liberty as a nation is the last century plus. Fort Bragg, for example, is home to many of the Army's most selective, effective and legendary units.....ALL with men and women veterans (and their lost comrades) who have history which, for some, encompasses HUGE swaths of their lives in some of the most intense and emotional periods of those lives. Perhaps those who have not served, sacrificed and lost in relation directly to these places can't grasp the extent of attachment. Imagine if some of the places most pivotal in your life were suddenly renamed to tangential things you have no context with at the whim of those with no connection to them. The hospital where your children were born, your church, schools you attended, streets you lived on etc......all because people unassociated with those felt they need to "fix"your history.

As for the Confederate nature of these names.....the decisions to use those names was a part of trying to heal the nation after the civil war by recognizing (through the memorialization of leaders- a flawed but pervasive mechanism) the sacrifice of the loss of those on the losing end of the war for posts located in the areas that suffered those losses at a time when veterans of that war were still alive. Attempting to erase the history of one side of that horrible war is a simplistic and immature way of dealing a painful and disturbing portion of our history, instead of teaching about the context of the history of our nation. The logical extrapolation of this type of policy would literally be to remove all place names memorializing anyone from everywhere in the US and simply use some kind of numbering system or geographic description. EVERY naming mechanism used in the US has been dictated by and memorializing those who oppressed others, including Indian names. There are no innocent or clean peoples. Add to that a 62.5 million dollar price tag......especially in our current fiscal fiasco ........

I do realize the "audience" for the hurt of this is limited.

Most of these posts have long and storied histories with GENERATIONS of soldiers (For instance I served on 2 different posts my Grandfather trained on prior to serving in WWII in Europe and 2 more my cousin served on during his cold war and gulf war service). I spent very important portions of my life and career at 3 of these posts. These forts represent a huge portion of the force that has secured our liberty as a nation is the last century plus. Fort Bragg, for example, is home to many of the Army's most selective, effective and legendary units.....ALL with men and women veterans (and their lost comrades) who have history which, for some, encompasses HUGE swaths of their lives in some of the most intense and emotional periods of those lives. Perhaps those who have not served, sacrificed and lost in relation directly to these places can't grasp the extent of attachment. Imagine if some of the places most pivotal in your life were suddenly renamed to tangential things you have no context with at the whim of those with no connection to them. The hospital where your children were born, your church, schools you attended, streets you lived on etc......all because people unassociated with those felt they need to "fix"your history.

As for the Confederate nature of these names.....the decisions to use those names was a part of trying to heal the nation after the civil war by recognizing (through the memorialization of leaders- a flawed but pervasive mechanism) the sacrifice of the loss of those on the losing end of the war for posts located in the areas that suffered those losses at a time when veterans of that war were still alive. Attempting to erase the history of one side of that horrible war is a simplistic and immature way of dealing a painful and disturbing portion of our history, instead of teaching about the context of the history of our nation. The logical extrapolation of this type of policy would literally be to remove all place names memorializing anyone from everywhere in the US and simply use some kind of numbering system or geographic description. EVERY naming mechanism used in the US has been dictated by and memorializing those who oppressed others, including Indian names. There are no innocent or clean peoples. Add to that a 62.5 million dollar price tag......especially in our current fiscal fiasco ........

I do realize the "audience" for the hurt of this is limited.
Someone like you, needs to explain that just like you did, to everyone, everywhere. That’s a very heartfelt yet non emotional explanation to the actual ridiculousness abound. Thanks for your service one, and two, thanks for your thoughtful response to a strange situation that we are encountering in these times.

Back