Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Solo hunting in grizzly country

I head into the Beartooths next week. Above Cooke City, MT. Solo. Rifle. Bear spray. Will keep a clean camp. No bear fence. No handgun. I tend to be lucky. Will try to be careful and alert though I have been known to have great afternoon naps on most hunts.

I head into the Beartooths next week. Above Cooke City, MT. Solo. Rifle. Bear spray. Will keep a clean camp. No bear fence. No handgun. I tend to be lucky. Will try to be careful and alert though I have been known to have great afternoon naps on most hunts.
Best of luck

Wyoming Range, West of Big Piney. I have read in a different forum a WGFD biologist 100% confirmed grizz are present at low densities in the unit directly north of the one I’m looking at. That was several years ago.

What is the difference between the general tag and type 9 or 1? I’m just looking for some solid encounters in an area with a healthy elk population and not too many people. I don’t have enough points for any controlled hunts and can’t afford a guide to get into a wilderness.

I've hunted this area twice, last year with a friend and this year solo. Walked right up on 2 different black bears the first day that were not very afraid, if they'd been grizz it would have been sketchy. Pretty low density of grizz in that area though, it's a good place to start in grizz county to build confidence, just don't get complacent if you don't see them or sign. The further south you get the thinner they get.

Can you see it?

20200925_134644.jpg

20200925_134652.jpg

20200925_134818.jpg

An hour or so later, different bear.

20200925_144011.jpg

Sounds like solid advice. I’ve little doubt the 460 Mag strapped to my chest & bear spray would allow a grizz to continue an attack, but who wants it to come down to that. Hopefully I just never run into one. Those tourists in Yellowstone think it’s so fun watching that bear eat and sleep on that bull carcass by the river. Imagine walking up on that unaware!

We just need to get used the reality of that possibility as hunters in the West. They’re going to keep spreading their range as long as they’re recovering and managed as endangered species.

Back