Solid Broadheads

They look good but are over priced in my opinion. The DRT broadheads look very similar but I'm not sure of the price. "maybe they are the same" ????? Anyone know for sure?
Dan

I bought some of the Solids (100 gr) in the off season. Found them "cheap" at 60 bucks.

I just shot one of them for the first time today. I'm not ready for a sweeping endorsement right now, but they shoot very well. I'll let you know at the end of the season on how I like them.

I bought a set of these a few months back. I bought the 3/4" bleeders and just couldn't get them to fly. I was also really disappointed in the durability as well. I actually had a bleeder come loose. I so wanted these to work but I'm just going to stick with Strikers.

DRT also has one with a steel ferrule it weighs 150 or 175 grains with the added insert. They have a bit thinner blade .051 vs .060. Both look very effective. but for now I like my Slick Tricks.
Dan

DRT also has one with a steel ferrule it weighs 150 or 175 grains with the added insert. They have a bit thinner blade .051 vs .060. Both look very effective. but for now I like my Slick Tricks.
Dan

How good have the slick tricks been to you? I switched to them last year after not so great performance by some T3's by G5 on my elk. I have heard really good things about them but just wondering anyway.

I have been testing the DRT this summer and they fly great and get great penetration. Blades are easy to sharpen and have lifetime warranty. I recently shot the DRT through the metal frame of my GlenDel Buck. The blade was marginally scraped up, but I was able to sharpen and it still fly great. One thing to note, is don’t shoot a quartering away shot at the GlenDel with these broad heads or the same may happen to you. I have used these blades up to 60 yards with no flight variation from by field tips. I will say, that I have tuned my arrows and am very confident in my shooting skills.

I have been testing the DRT this summer and they fly great and get great penetration. Blades are easy to sharpen and have lifetime warranty. I recently shot the DRT through the metal frame of my GlenDel Buck. The blade was marginally scraped up, but I was able to sharpen and it still fly great. One thing to note, is don’t shoot a quartering away shot at the GlenDel with these broad heads or the same may happen to you. I have used these blades up to 60 yards with no flight variation from by field tips. I will say, that I have tuned my arrows and am very confident in my shooting skills.

Because of Ranger's reccomendation, I ordered some to try out. We'll see how they stack up against the Exodus.

I purchased and used the 100 gr Solids last year. Loved them. They flew great and could be resharpened. They are made in the USA and put 4 deer in my freezer last year. I have some pics I'll see if I can find and post. I used Muzzy 3 blades for 20+ years and just switched to Solids. I wasn't dissapointed...not that there is anything wrong with the Muzzy's. They served me quite well.

Here was the aftermath of one of the deer I shot with 100 gr Solid last year. It was an awesome blood trail to follow. Not that other broadheads couldn't do the same but it was a really fun tracking job with a 9-pointer at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 576
Here are some photos I sent to Solid (you can see them on their Facebook page) after I shot through my Glendel Buck while practicing prior to deer season last year. It cut right through the rather stout fence behind my target. I resharpened it and was good to go when season started. The other arrows shown in the target just had field points on them.

Attachments

• 10655259_379100848881678_5372867358248965949_o[1].jpg
    10655259_379100848881678_5372867358248965949_o[1].jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 940
  • 10479063_379100845548345_3070764283987836992_o[1].jpg
    10479063_379100845548345_3070764283987836992_o[1].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 850
  • 10688058_379100842215012_330103418628764914_o[1].jpg
    10688058_379100842215012_330103418628764914_o[1].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 600
I Bought Solid broadheads last Season. Out of the box, which is a nice little re-usable plastic container, they are as sharp as a straight razor. For my Bow, there was no need to adjust the pins. They shot exactly the way my field points did out to 50 yards. The only deer I shot with them last year spilled blood all over the place after being shot with the Solid broadhead. It was an easy and short tracking job. BUT, after inspecting the arrow and head, I could seethe very tip of the broadhead had broken off. About 1/16 of the point was squared off, which in my mind eliminated the ability to resharpen that tip. To resharpen it to a point would have taken to much off of the cutting edges and would not have been a 125 grain tip anymore. ALSO, another unfortunate result of that shot was the fracturing of the ferrule. Where the bleeder blades slide through the intersection is fairly thin, which apparently couldnt handle what ever caused it to break. I contacted Solid recently through phone and Email to see if I had a warranty claim. They took 3 days to return my inquiry. They required pictures to verify whether it was or was not something they would warranty. After determining it was a warranty claim, they issued me a return authorization #. I was required to pay for the shipping to them, but I assume they will pay to send back my broadhead when they do. I'm guessing that it was a fluke manufacturing defect, because the other 2 in the box have held up well. Overall they are super sharp, reasonably durable, and IMO very expensive. I also ordered the DRT heads to see how they compare.

Zac

I've never used them but I love that companies are starting to make heavier broadheads. I just want a 175 grain one piece.

How good have the slick tricks been to you? I switched to them last year after not so great performance by some T3's by G5 on my elk. I have heard really good things about them but just wondering anyway.

Zach,
I shot a 5 point bull at 30 yards. It was a broadside shot and it broke a rib upon entry,x'd the heart and shattered the off side leg bone. I could have used the head again. It was still sharp and did spin okay. 2 friends have used them in Africa with great results. So far I have not heard of any failures with them coming apart. I'm sure some may have lost an animal using them but the truth be known it may be bad shot placement.
They fly good, are tough and sharp and are reasonable in price. What's not to like?
Hope this helps,
Dan

Minus the cost of the Solid, I think there a great broad head. I just can't bring myself to spend $80 for a pack of 3. As for other broad heads, its almost like the topic of camouflage, it really is a personal preference.

Back