So I drew Turkey on the infamous Kaibab Plateau(AZ)

BuddyBoombox

And I've never hunted turkey in my life. Sadly this is about a 5 hour drive so scouting is gonna be next to impossible. Any thoughts on where I should begin? I can't even say I've ever seen a wild turkey before!

I have spotted them off highway 89 within a mile of the Jacob lake inn multiple times. Lots of Turkeys in this unit. Good luck!

I have spotted them off highway 89 within a mile of the Jacob lake inn multiple times. Lots of Turkeys in this unit. Good luck!

Well that gives me a place to drive to the days before the season opens, that's a huge help, thanks!

Congrats. Maybe a little research and study of skills ahead of time would be a good thing..........?

I'm reasonably confident in my outdoors-man's skill set, it's mostly my hunting skill set I've got doubts on. I've watched some YouTube, but I've found the best info comes from books or friendly recommendations. I am just finishing up a Coues deer book. Got any recommendations?

Congrats! I would look up the word infamous though. Good luck on the hunt.
Oh, around here at least getting a tag can be a huge pain for deer up there. I suppose in that regard it's both infamous and regular old famous!

Be sitting at a high spot at daybreak to listen for gobbles. Spring turkey hunting is awesome. Have fun.

There are turkeys all over the place up there. being such a long drive from the valley all but guarantees you a tag up there. your biggest challenge will be focusing on turkey with all the deer running around you. I hope you have a good camera

There are turkeys all over the place up there. being such a long drive from the valley all but guarantees you a tag up there. your biggest challenge will be focusing on turkey with all the deer running around you. I hope you have a good camera
I do not and blew my whole budget on a spotting scope. I guess I'll just have to remember really well!

Fall turkey hunting is against my religion. 😂
Hahaha, that doesn't sound promising!

Spring turkeys are strutting, gobbling, thunder chicken elk. Fall turkeys are big grouse. Tasty to eat. Meh, to hunt.

Shotgun only, any bird.

Fall turkey hunting is like kissing your cousin. It might seem fun, but you know it ain’t right. Lol

This got a solid chuckle, thank you!

Spring turkeys are strutting, gobbling, thunder chicken elk. Fall turkeys are big grouse. Tasty to eat. Meh, to hunt.
Never heard the term "Thunder Chicken Elk" but I'm gonna start using it!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back