So how is the bear huntin?

Ike

It was my son's birthday today, so I talked him and my wife into a quick trip to the mountain today for bear. I didn't plan on sending the dogs unless I got a really hard rig and figured to be home by mid-morning. With lion and bear seasons both open the door is wide open for fun.....

I had Ike, Choco, Griz and Kody up top and Sam and Maverick down below. We had most of the cut done when we rounded a corner and the dogs hit the chains with a roar like they were looking at bear, so I cut Ike and Choco loose. Those two hounds crossed the narrow canyon and began to open under a huge tree so I sent Griz and Kody on into the track.

The hounds ran back and forth for a few seconds and then finally lined out the tracks, taking them up out of the canyon. I turned Sam and Maverick in next and they were all giving voice and soon gone. We walked over in the canyon where they opened and found lion tracks...heck sakes I just can't get away from those lions long enough to run bear.|oo I was pretty please though, to have all of those dogs go off on lion like they were eye to eye with a bear.

A few hours later the hounds fell on the wood and we walked in to shoot some video. I was pretty proud of that Maverick plott dog, as he is just pasted his first birthday and was located and treeing on lion. I shut the camera down, loaded my pack and was about to call the dogs off the tree when that darn lion jumped. And that sure would have been some good footage. Luckily, the lion ran back down toward our truck and didn't cost us anymore climbing.

The lion had climbed a quaken aspen tree and was all bear hugged up...guess that's as close to a bear as I got this week ha. I shot a few photos then called the hounds off the tree. I told my son you should have video taped me calling the hounds off the tree for a training tape. He explained he would have if he really believed they were gonna pull for my call. I guess seeing is believing huh?

Great day in the woods with the family.....hope you all had a good weekend as well!

Keep'em treed,
ikehump

Attachments

• mavericktree.jpg
    mavericktree.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 258
  • secondtree.jpg
    secondtree.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 170
Thanks guys, yeah IdahoBugler, that's the first lion I ever caught in a small aspen tree........so how is hte bear hunting going/

ike

Thanks guys, yeah IdahoBugler, that's the first lion I ever caught in a small aspen tree........so how is hte bear hunting going/

ike
We haven't had a chance to sit the bait yet but we are finally getting some hits. Hopefully some time next week.

Sounds like a cool birthday for your son.Great pics,the lion bear huggin the tree is awesome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back