Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Snow effects on elk

Muleyfanatic

How much snow does it usually take to start moving elk into lower elevations and possibly even go into full migration. If it is only the ground a couple of days like it is doing now through a lot of the mountain ranges in CO, WY, and MT.

My guess is that it depends on available feed. It just depends on how the snow blocks the food. For example if the snow freezes an ice layer blocking the feed then it becomes migration or death. If the mountains get a foot of snow that melts in a day or two then I'd guess there is less migration because critters can still access food through the snow. My two cents anyway...

I agree with sweetnectar. The two primary factors for the elk migration are snow and cold temperatures Generally, elk can paw through quite a bit of snow for food. However, when it is coupled with 2 ft of snow and cold, that generally gets then moving to lower elevations. The cold does too things: 1) makes it so they have to eat more to sustain their body temperatures and 2) As it freezes the snow it makes it difficult to get to the grass..

I agree with the above posters. Last year where we elk hunted in the Lemhi's in Idaho it dumped about 8 inches of cold, light and dry champagne powder from about 6K and higher. It was bitter cold when we hunted mid November, high's of 5-10 but well below zero with 20+mph winds. It was crazy because the elk still didn't move lower than 7000 feet, the snow was light and dry enough that they could still get to the feed.

The scene was like something out of a movie, they looked like mt goats up there with the wind blowing their hair around in the freezing cold and snow.

There is another key element to figuring out what an elk will do given weather, etc ..... MOOD SWINGS !!

Ya i have to agree with the others, But when those bugger's decide to move out there gone. just have a plan B to go to.

Thanks for the reply's. I have a plan B, and C. We are headin out Thursday afternoon and will scout some on foot until we find them.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back