Snow Day

Uh...I think its about getting kids to school safely....and nothing to do with teachers.
That said, some states/districts have a different interpretation of safety.
Fyi...my teacher wife has never had a snow day. 35 below is the magical number. Snow/drifting has never been a factor.
My comment was a bit short and blunt. No disrespect intended to the teaching profession. I have a brother, a niece, and a sister-in-law who teach. Schools here close several times each winter due to road conditions that I certainly wouldn't want to drive a bus on. Snow days for him usually put him working in his son's sugar woods.

Reactions: Hem
My comment was a bit short and blunt. No disrespect intended to the teaching profession. I have a brother, a niece, and a sister-in-law who teach. Schools here close several times each winter due to road conditions that I certainly wouldn't want to drive a bus on. Snow days for him usually put him working in his son's sugar woods.
Grew up in sugar woods. Old enough to remember pails not connected to one another.
Thanks for the memory jog this morning F250.

Living in Bangor, Maine. Think I was in K or 1st grade, that would be 63 years ago. Lived next to a drive in movie, remember those? It snowed like a ___________ for a very long time, drifts up to the eaves, must've been 5-6 feet in the yard and on the streets. Kept snowing on and off, too. I think we were out of school for a week, maybe. We didn't give two ______, it was fun to us.

That sticker is coming off immediately and probably put on some random pickup that has smoke-a-pack-a-day stickers.
ManPlow-1.jpg

Our kids have missed 5 of the last 10 days of school due to snow. Its so friggn deep chained up school busses are getting stuck in the streets. Luckily the 10 day forecast is no snow, now just have to find a place to put it all. Roads are about 1.75 lanes wide.

When I was a kid, I only had one snow day the entire time I was in school. Now days they seem to close the schools down whenever the weatherman just says there is a chance of snow. But I think that kids were more expendable back in the day. The grade school I went to didn't have busses, everyone lived within two miles so we either walked or road our bikes. On Columbus Day 1962 we were all in class when a big storm moved in. The "Columbus Day Storm" A storm of Ledgen. To this day, 60 years later, local news stations still do stories about it. The school got concerned as the storm was building and decided it was time to send the kids home early, so they turned us lose saying "go straight home" Most of the girls did just that but us boy just couldn't do it. It was too much fun. 50 mph wind with gusts to 70, tree branches and trash cans blowing all over the place, trees falling over with a crash and power lines dancing on the ground everywhere. Way too much fun. Parents weren't concerned because there was no such thing as text messages or anything like that, so they didn't even know we had been set free. No one got killed, so all was good.

Now days they would lock the kids in the school like it was some kind of prison until the parents came to get them or until the storm had passed. No fun at all for kids these days.

No fun at all for kids these days.
Tell that to all the kids in my neighborhood that are building forts, snowmen, and having snowball fights. 😂
Plenty of fun yet to be had outside in middle America. This storm will provide a good amount of fun for these kids for weeks to come.

I was called into work to help shovel snow during our cold snap here in MT. Comes with territory when you work in hotel industry. Had a guy calling saying I can't make it snowed in. Told him I'd be there to get them. Was eleven minutes late due to others on the road but he was there for work.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back