Caribou Gear Tarp

Snow chain recommendations

There are a couple spots in the breaks that without chains one will have a very bad case of naugahydeinbuttitus.
My brothers went backwards down one of the hills on Dunn ridge after breaking traction, they remember the feeling very well.

I posted in the past about putting my chains in a 5 foot section of 4inch pvc.
It works well to keep them a little rust free and easy to untangle.

School me on snow chains… what should I be looking for in a high quality chain?

I’m ok with buy once, cry once. Looking for the best quality options and opinions, please.

LT295/60R/20 on a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD running Toyo AT3s

I’ve been known to get into some less than desirable situations pushing the envelope in a heavy diesel. Picked up a set of Maxtraxx just in case! lol 🤪
Pewag off road. Ive got the same truck, except a 2011, and the exact same tires. Did some checking but the Pewags seemed to be extremely well made. The guy in Portland I spoke to was very helpful. I put them on in my driveway. Do that. And put them on before you need them is very good advice. But try to avoid getting into a bad spot. I didn't want to shit up my good truck getting it stuck. Although the guy from Pew said I didn't need tighteners, I ended up buying them. I think the chains 2 years ago cost m around $500. Not cheap, but very well made.

Last edited:
Before ever messing with chains, why don’t guys actually runs good off road tire? The good aggressive tire is all I have ever needed. Throttle control and knowing how to drive will trump chains any day. I have only one put chains on in all my years. It was for a short 10 foot section of flow ice on a side hill. Other than that never needed a chain.

Before ever messing with chains, why don’t guys actually runs good off road tire? The good aggressive tire is all I have ever needed. Throttle control and knowing how to drive will trump chains any day. I have only one put chains on in all my years. It was for a short 10 foot section of flow ice on a side hill. Other than that never needed a chain.
Ummm, no. And I use a great snow and ice tire. mtmuley
Ya this /\ exactly.

@WYelker agreed.

Snowchains are for digging down to traction, which, coincidentally, is great for high centering and plowing.

Low air pressure (floatation), open or LSDs and throttle control are all you need. Again.

Yall put chains on your b-m-doubleshoes as your tromping through snow? No. You put snowshoes or skis on.

Don't ask me though, we can google the formerly most revered offroading bunch in the heyday. Or you can go to snowtrek.org, they look like they're still around too.

Ask google

The best off road snow and ice tires there are won’t help you on a steep forest service road that’s been polished down to ice. I’ve seen one go off the edge of a canyon before. That’s why I always carry chains. Digging through deep snow is different.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back