Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Snake river deer hunting

Sshrop5

Hello everyone,

im relatively new to HT but have enjoyed the threads and discussions thus far. I’m planning on hunting the snake river unit in Oregon (2021 season). I understand the terrain and know I’m in for a challenge. I am looking forward to it. I’ve done some scouting there in the past and plan to this spring. I’m actually looking for advice on camping spots. Not a ton of roads to work with. I’m not planning on using a boat, horses, or packing in camp. I would much rather drive up, set up a wall tent, and start hunting my butt off. If anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it. Hope everyone’s 2020 season went well and good luck on the upcoming season.

My recommendation would be to remain flexible. Very little road access, being chained to a truck camp is going to limit you a lot.

You are correct that there are very few roads for access to the unit. Honestly, I would let your scouting dictate where you set up your camp. Most camps are just set along the road wherever people decide they want to camp. Scout during archery season and you'll see where all the good camp spots are. There is a campground on the Hat Point Road just after it swings around to head back north to Hat Point. Lots of country to glass right from camp. Probably see more mountain goats than deer. Plenty of hiking as soon as you drop over the edge.

QQ

You are correct that there are very few roads for access to the unit. Honestly, I would let your scouting dictate where you set up your camp. Most camps are just set along the road wherever people decide they want to camp. Scout during archery season and you'll see where all the good camp spots are. There is a campground on the Hat Point Road just after it swings around to head back north to Hat Point. Lots of country to glass right from camp. Probably see more mountain goats than deer. Plenty of hiking as soon as you drop over the edge.

QQ
I appreciate your help with this. I was curious about Hat point. If nothing else, I was thinking about setting up close to there, be able to glass with hope of spotting something, then making my trek towards the animal. Maybe it’s ju at wishful thinking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back